1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stereo speakers to computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twizzie, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

I was just about to order a nice speaeker set for my newly built win x64 comp., then I just remembered that there was an "aux" function in my stereo. I also found this ( I really don't know how to describe it) device where you can plug in a yellow aux plug into it, and then plug the device into the motherboard, and then connect the aux wires.(there are three types red, yellow and white). So, I plugged the device in (which looks similar to a video card, or sound card, or any other PCI slot device from the outside) into the motherboard. Then, I plugged one end of a red-white-yellow wire to the device in the computer, and the other one in the stereo, turned it to AUX, no results. Is there a driver I need? I did look into device manager, and it was sort of complicating to exactly pin-point which one it was though, but I don't recall anything working improperly.

Not only this, but I tried using the headphone jack. ~I have a whole bottom of a closet filled with wires...I have no clue where they came from but there are wires, I;m pretty sure for anything you need in life~ This headphone jack was actually unique because it had 2 sides that you had to plug in. One went into the computer headphone jack, the other one into the stereo's headphone jack. So...just imagine a headphone, it has two ends, one end a plug-in, and the other end two headphones, this wire has two of the plug-ins. This wire came with my flat panel that included speakers. So, I plugged both ends in, and still no sound. How do I use my speakers that are hooked up to my stereo to my computer, in such a way that I can use the AUX feature...well any way that it would work, Idc if it is aux or cd or tuner, just need the speakers to work from my computer.

Thanks,
    Twizzie

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does your new computer have any type of "line out" audio jack? It would probably look the same as a typical mini stereo headphone jack. The "Aux" inputs that I have seen on most stereo systems are a pair of RCA phono jacks on the back of the receiver. If so a cable like this one from Radio Shack should work for you. Similar cables should also be available from you local electronics or audio equipment store.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...apter&kw=stereo+rca+adapter&parentPage=search

3. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

It has an input jack, and also a aux input, which was the "device" I was talking about earlier. However I did try it with the wire you showed above, but the wire I tried had red, white, yellow plugs on both sides, and my computer has only room for one yellow wire, and my stereo has room for a red and yellow input.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did your newly built computer come with an installed sound card? If so, what is the exact brand and model number? If it did not come with an installed sound card, does the motherboard have a built-in sound controller? If so, what is the exact brand and model number of the mother board.

If you are trying to install a sound controller card, we will need a better description than it looks similar to a video, sound, or other type of PCI device.

As far as I know the headphone jack on a piece of stereo equipment is an output, not an input. Connecting the headphone output from the computer to the headphone output of your stereo will not get you a usable connection and could damage the sound controller in your computer.

EDIT:
    I tried to follow some of your other threads and can not figure out if you are using audio from the mother board or if you purchased one of the sound cards from NewEgg.com. Are you home stereo system and PC sound controller simple 2 channel stereo or are they both some type of 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system?

5. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

My computer didn't infact come with a sound card, but my motherboard did, it is an Realteck or realtek AC97.

I'm pretty sure what I'm installing isn't a sound controller card. I'm going to make my best efforts to explain it to you though. Pretend that you just installed video card onto your motherboard's pci slot. Ok, you close your case up, and you plug your monitor into the video card, which is located parallel to the pci slot. I have the same thing, except it isn't something you can plug in to a pci slot. When you install it onto your case, it'll look from the outside, it will have a yellow input or output plug, like the one you may have on a PS2, xbox, or regualar stereo hooked up to your vcr. And then, next to it it'll have another plug that looks like a PS/2 slot, but it isn't, its just round and has space for needles.

And yes you are right about the input/output thing.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is there any reason you do not want to use the sound controller and outputs on your motherboard?

I still can not picture what you are trying to describe. You compare it to a video card that plugs into a PCI slot but yours doesn't plug into a PCI slot? Is it just a metal plate with connectors on it or does it also include some type of printed circuit board with electronics on it. If it does include a printed circuit board, I find it hard to believe that it does not have any type of manufacturer's name and part number on it.

7. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

Yes sir, it was a metal plate that you could plug into your motherboard, and had either input or output jacks on it, and what are you talking about when you said the sound controller and outputs on my motherboard??, I have a headhpone and mic jack, basically a input and output jack, the sound card is basic, however, I am planning on buying a 7.1 sound card.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did the metal plate specifically come packaged with the motherboard or is it something you found in the cable pile in your closet? Exactly how is it plugging into the motherboard.

If the headphone and mic jacks you mention are part of the motherboard, then the headphone jack would be the outputs I was referring to.

Does the stereo with the speakers you mention in the first post have two speakers or does it have seven speakers attached to it? If it only has two speakers, you will not be using most of the outputs of the sound card when you do get it.

In working with all kinds of PC hardware over the years, I have yet to see any connector on a PC that used "needles".

EDIT: Fixed broken quote tag.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well to me the Yellow plug sounds like a standard TV out plug on a video card. The other plug you described that looks similar to a PS2 Plug sounds more like an S-Video plug. If this is so, niether of them provide sound out.

10. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

For cwwozniak:

It just appeared from no where, and then thats how I remembered that I could use the speaekrs from my stereo. I plugged in the wire from the metal plate into the middle of the motherboard where...forget this, I will try to post a picture in a few min.

11. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

Just imagine this, after taking a look at the picture. See how the headph. jack goes into a metal plate, near where other pci devices can be installed? I hvae the same thing except it is a yellow jack for eithervideo or sound. The metal plate's wire goes into the motherbrd. with a plug that is a rectangle that has 4 needles or whatever you like to cal them, on the top row, and 3 on the bottom. If this is too frustrating, can we pretend I never mentioned a metal plate or wires? Is there an alternative route?? Or should I just give up and go for the seperate sound card and speakers.

http://www.voidedwarranty.com/articles_nuke/labrat/Watermarked Pics/pci_plug.jpg

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Works for Me (y) (y) (y) (y)

If your home stereo system only uses two speakers and uses two RCA phono jacks for the inputs like these red and white ones and your motherboard has a headphone jack that looks similar to green jack in this picture, then you should use a cable that is similar to the Radio Shack cable I showed in an earlier post. It has a stereo headphone plug on one end to plug into your PC and has two RCA plaugs on the other end to plug into the Auxiliary Input jacks on your stereo.

You can probably hold off getting the 7.1 sound card until you are also ready to buy a 7.1 speaker system or upgrade your home stereo system to 7.1 surround sound.

13. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

I don't have the red and white ones on my speaker system, and my motherboard does have something like that, in the back, but in the front there is a red one and green one for easy access, but yes my motherboard does have a set of those plugs as pictured in your second link.

My home speaker system is amazing, so I don't want to change that at all, its like 4 years old or so, and still crystal clear sound.

But, the thing is, my speakers don't have plugs, they have copper wires that you insert into the main stereo and you fasten a red and black tab in to make it tight.

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You need to feed the stereo audio from your PC through the amplifiers that are in your stereo system. You do not connect the speakers from your stereo system directly to the PC.

You said in your first post that your stereo had some type of "Aux Function". Can you please see if there is a web site anywhere that has the technical description of your stereo system hardware and then post a link to it. I am not looking for pictures or descriptions of hardware that sorta-kinda looks like what you have.

15. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice