1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sticky printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davepb, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davepb

davepb Thread Starter

Hello

this is one those funny driver problems i think

I have an old packard bell that runs on windows 98.

For reasons I wont go into i had to reinstall the operating system from scratch and reinstalled the hp driver from the disc that came with the computer, the cd rom.

Now i find that when i try and print initially after entering word the comp seems to hang for maybe 20 - 30 secs before it starts again and then starts printing. After that everything is ok until i restart word and the same thing happens again.

Have reinstalled the driver from the Hp site and no improvement

One thing I did notice was that when i removed the printer via control etc and then opened the print menu after entering word it came up fine albeit with the fax option . Any ideas for this tiresome problem.

cheers

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what is your computer specification?

3. davepb

davepb Thread Starter

thanks for replying its a very old pacakrd bell pulsar 433 , which i think is a celeron 433 with 192 mb ram . theprinter is a hewlett packard deskjet 720c .

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm thinking its a memory issue. You do have a very old processor, and the memory might be being used up since you have 192Mb.

A bloated startup might be the cause of a slow machine too.

Download and run HighJackThis, found at www.majorgeek.com When you launch the file, press Scan. Then Save the log and then I think since this is the newer version you should be able to see the log in Notepad. When you do, copy the entire log and then paste it here.

5. davepb

davepb Thread Starter

thanks will get back to you when i get to my home computer

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, this program also can tell me if you have spyware

7. davepb

davepb Thread Starter

one point before i do the above is the fact that i am running a windows version 2000 with a windows 98 op system , could that have any effect?

thanks Dave

8. davepb

davepb Thread Starter

sorry i meant office 2000 with windows 98--- get it right

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Microsoft Office 2000 should have no effect while running on Windows 98. But I will clarify that for you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice