Still being offered Updates but not paying for them?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TOGG

Since W7 went EOL in January, I have been receiving regular emails purporting to be from Microsoft and advising me of each month's updates. I ignore them although I have opened one and they do look surprisingly authentic to me. I know they must be bogus because MS never extended this courtesy to me when W7 was still being supported and they are using an old email address of mine that I know was compromised some time ago and so no longer use, just occasionally check out of curiosity.

What is much more surprising is that Windows Update, which I had had set to 'search for updates and let me decide what to install' (and thought I had turned off) has, on at least two occasions, offered the Malicious Software Removal Tool! I see from my updates history that I was once so tired or absent minded enough to allow the September version to download and run, but nothing nasty happened as a result. I image this computer once a week and always have recent Restore points so I don't think I am at too much risk but I am curious to know if anyone else still running W7 has had a similar experience?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
You’ll probably still be offered Defender updates & MSRT but not cumulative updates.

If a major security flaw is discovered then MS will probably release a fix for Win 7.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
TOGG:
Even if you obtain post-EOL security updates for Windows 7 SP1, they will fail to install if you try to install them.
I doubt those emails purporting to be from Microsoft are authentic, so you should ignore them.

As Virginia already said, it's normal for WD and MSRT updates to appear in Windows Update, even after January 2020.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

TOGG

Well, the fake MS emails seem to have stopped (for now) and I usually ignored the MSRT when W7 was still being supported, so I guess I'll mark this solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online