1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Still cannot transfer data from Vista to Wins 7

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DevilDogMom, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevilDogMom

DevilDogMom Thread Starter

Vista is the old PC. I use cccleaner, defrag scans etc. I do the maintenance. laptop has Wins 7 Professional. Both use FF version 18.0.1 and Tbird is version 17.0.2. Vista, Home Basic Serv Pack 2, 32 bit has Intel Core 2Duo CPU. E7400 @ 2.80GHz. RAM is 3.00 GB. Wins 7 is Intel i7-2760 QM CPU 2.40 GHz RAM 8 GB 64 bit Service Pack 1.

My goal is to
    Transfer bookmarks Vista to Wins 7
    Transfer email, messages,folders, contacts
    Transfer Word 2007 documents/folders

I have accomplished none of this. This is not the fault of any help I have received from this site.
    First I did the Wins 7 upgrade advisor. Those recommendations are easy to understand.

Next - windows easy transfer. it transferred the data and it sits like a big lump on the desktop of Wins 7. I do not see a way to drag any of it.
    Next a transfer cable - that did nothing. cursor sat in upper right hand corner. would not move from the PC to the laptop desktop.
    Next MozBackup. did the backup - it is a lump on Wins 7 desktop too. I do not know how to move the items into the right places.
    Next syncing my bookmarks. set up the account on Wins 7. I tried to add a device (Vista). wins 7 gave me an error message that said

"Unresponsive Script Script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop script now or you can continue to see if the script will complete. script:resource://services-common/async.js:94"

I googled the error message - I don't know anything about scripts. got instructions. Here is the problem with error messages. they contain instructions for doing things in places I do not know about and/or it is a long process I do not fully understand. instructions for the script were cumbersome and involve "This might void your warranty." Well with the success to date I am not going near this one.

tried transferring data to a new profile per mozillazine. found old profile in Vista. created a copy. When I got to delete all info in profile in Wins7 I stopped. if I delete the new profile and can't put in the old profile then what? Sure I have about 5 backup copies now but that doesn't mean I can make it work.

One last thing. RF123 tried to help me (thank you). I was going to export import the bookmarks. Sounds simple. When I open bookmarks in Vista there is no option to access a bookmark manager. I looked for more info on that. I looked everywhere for the manager - can't find it. I also can't find a "library" in Vista FF.

I give myself an F because I have accomplished nothing. Not the fault of anyone on this site. What am I missing? I am on a network - transferring all this should have easy and taken a couple of hours at the most. I am at a loss for what to do; except for calling my IT person.:confused:

2. DevilDogMom

I did not know how to add to this post - so I just replied. I have one small success. I managed to transfer all my bookmarks from Vista to Wins7. I know that sounds small but to me it is huge. I reread the instructions from RainForest123 and tried to think clearly.. Worked this time. Thank you to RainForest123 and to Lance1 and TerryNet for all the help. I will continue and maybe I can get the other goals accomplished. Thank you so much.

3. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Your Word documents should be the Documents folder on the Vista computer. You can just copy those from that computer to the Documents folder on the Windows 7 computer. You will need to install Word on the Windows 7 computer if you want to use it there.

4. DevilDogMom

Thank you. I did that and appreciate your help. That took one item off my list.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This remains on your list, right? Which email client on Vista and which on Windows 7?

What else is left on your list?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice