1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Still getting lag and I don't understand why.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Seigekiller, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seigekiller

Seigekiller Thread Starter

I have 25 Mbps speed from my internet service provider, averaging around 23-24.
    I have top of the line, modem/router NETGEAR C6300 model with dual-band SSID's for wifi signal.

My Xbox One(wireless connection) is literally only 2-3 feet from the modem/router and is signed in on the 5.0GHz ID for the wifi.

When I play NBA2k15 I still get lag all the time and it's really bad sometimes I don't understand WHY I am still getting lag even after all the improvements I made. I don't ever lag on my desktop with ethernet but my xbox always has lag on 2k.(even when I tried using the ethernety for the xbox I still got lag)

Can someone explain to me why? Even when no one else is on the internet... and it's not every game, just most games during regular day hours.

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

By improvements are you referring to the modem/router or have you made other improvements you haven't mentioned?

3. Seigekiller

Modem/Router upgrade yes, and internet speed upgrade from 7mbps to 25.

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

If you just upgraded speed and are getting lag I am thinking that the old speed wasn't disabled and both might still be on the router. I need to do some research to tell you how to correct this. I'm sure TerryNet or one of the network guys can help sooner if they believe this is what's happening.

5. Seigekiller

The old speed was "disabled".. if that's the term you want to use, and changed to 25mbps, on speedtest I read 24mbps download speed. The modem/router was confirmed by the ISP to use our cable by giving them the Mac Address. Everything was done correctly. I am receiving the speed I am supposed to but for some reason on xbox one i get random lag.And for being a competitive sports player it really stinks when it's the reason you lose an 11 game win streak. :(

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } Post information from Detailed network statistics on the XO.
    What is the NAT status on the XO?

2 to 3 feet could possibly be to close, might be better off at around 6 feet.
    *If my system was that close I would just wire it and forget wireless.

Just notes:
    Recommend minimum requirement for online gaming for XO.
    Download: 3MB/s = 24Mb/s
    UP .5MB/s = 4Mb/s
    Ping = Less than 150 milliseconds

Not sure of your geo. location but with the above info. run a speedtest to a server in Seattle Washington and post the outcome.

7. Seigekiller

NAT Type is Open. The router is next to my dads PC in the other room, my xbox is behind the wall and moving it isn't an option, no where else I can put it. It's actually more like 3-3 1/2 ft away from it with a wall in the way.

I just had my dad shut off his connection, and i disabled the other wifi signals for the 2.4GHz frequency and unplugged my broadband from my computer so the only thing with internet was my Xbox One and i was STILL getting lag spikes. Not as bad as when others are on but still I should get no lag ever....

And i did the xbox live troubleshooting on their website. It's laughable. Plus in my third post i stated that i used the speedtest.net, I have beyond that of qualifications for good connection. I don't lag on call of duty or any other game that i play, just always always lagged on NBA2k's even on the 360 when i had nba2k14 i always lagged. Seems to have to do with 2 player connections idk if i knew i would have fixed it by now -_-

8. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Given the limited information who knows what is wrong but the possibility of the problem could lie within the 2k server itself.

9. Seigekiller

This seems to be the answer I am thinking. I never lag on anything but 2kserver games. from xbox 360 to xbox one. I feel like I'm in a deadzone area for their servers. I play Combat Arms online for my PC which takes much more bandwidth than a simple basketball game.... And I also hardwired my xbox one like suggested and I was still getting lag randomly for games I played on 2k. I'd say this issue is "solved, or debunked"

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice