Still having major trouble!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

glmds

Windows 95 is all messed up. It says 'The following file is missing or corrupt C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM'
'Type name of command interpreter'
I called IBM, they said they couldn't help since they were no longer trained on Windows 95. I have a Windows 98 disc but I can't load it because I can't get past the missing or corrupt file! I tried C:recycled directory and C:\fdisc but neither did any thing. PLEASE HELP! Thanks:rolleyes:

You might try copying the one on the root of the c: drive to the c:\windows directory. They should be the same.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to copy it to a floppy from another Win95 computer.

glmds

I have no idea how to do that. Remember, I'm new. How can I copy when I can't get past the prompt?Thanks for your help!:p

glmds

Do you know how to get windows95 off my computer from that point so I can try to load windows98? I just can't get past the "enter windows command" . I can't even go into DOS.

A couple of ways to do this. One would be to simply use a DOS boot disk. If you can't create one due to corrupted files, I have one you can download from http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm

Boot with the floppy and then copy from C: to c:\windows

If that doesn't work, you also might try going to http://www.bootdisk.com/. You can download a Win95 boot disk and use the command.com from that.

Also, you should have your source files around somewhere. You're going to need them eventually. It should be on there as well.

glmds

I have the original windows95 disc, but when I put it in I'm taken directly to the "enter windows command" and missing file thing and I can't do anything else but watch the cursor blink!:eek:

glmds

OK, I printed out the clean install info. Do I have to remove windows95 first? As soon as I turn on the computer, it goes through the IBM memory test, and then immediately to the enter command prompt. SO.... how can I install windows98? When I put the boot disc or the startup disc in will it cancel windows95?Thanks for bearing with me.:D

No problem, you can try this 2 ways, one try to boot to cd-rom with Win98 cd in, or boot to floppy and format drive. Do you have a 95/98 startup disk? If not check here;
http://www.bootdisk.com/
You may need to get into your bios or CMOS Setup Utility and change your boot sequence to Cd-Rom or A:.

For IBM try pressing F1 at boot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online