1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Still having problems with new install of Win-7 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Riverglen, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I recently bought a refurbished machine that was running the 64-bit version of Win-7 Professional. I almost immediately "downgraded" the machine by reinstalling the 32-bit version, from an ISO disk and activated the installation with no problems. But as I work with the new install, I'm repeatedly running into strange problems. (Ref. my recent thread regarding problems with Windows Update, in this forum.)

In addition to the previously solved Windows Update issue, I am having trouble with the following:

1) I have no access to the My Documents folder, but have no problems with access to My Pictures, My Music or My Videos. If I use the Explorer to open the path to my user files (Computer\windows (C:\Users\Conklin1a), I find normal folders for the three user folders that I can access, but instead of a My Documents folder icon, I see what looks like a shortcut icon, but I think it is actually a Junction Point icon (something I know very little about). Double clicking that icon results in an error message as shown here.

upload_2019-7-5_13-6-50.png

2) When I did the install, I somehow managed to assign my intended machine name to the initial user account as well. So, I used the account management tool from the control panel to change the user account name to Larry. However, the changed name isn't reflected in the path to the Users folder. The path that shows in Windows Explorer is the same as the path shown in the snip above. However, if I enable the desktop icon for the account users file from the desktop personalization tool, the label shows Larry.

Based on my experience resolving the Windows update problem, I pulled up the group policy editor tool and browsed through all of the configuration items that seemed even remotely related to the issues I'm having. Didn't find anything that seemed relevant, and didn't mess around changing anything.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When you change the user account name - it doe not change permissions, nor indeed as you found does it change it in the users folder
    Try the system account and see if you can access the folder on the system account

If you can copy the data
    only the actual docs not the folder itself, save the copied docs
    create the new doc folder on your account and copy back to that

If you cannot do that then you will have to change ownership and permissions on that folder the conklin1.

That is somewhat of a long job and if you get it wrong you may end up with more problems
    rather than trying the long method
    try this
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html
    with the take ownership download
    which automatically creates the reg files and the policy
    CAUTION
    Full image first

To access system account presuming you did not allocate password
    cmd prompt with admin rights and type

net user administrator /active:yes

shut down and reboot then the system account will show on the login
    there ism as I said no password unless you created one

To make the system account NOT available the cmd is as above but change yes to no

3. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Hello again,

Thanks for the quick reply. It will take me a little time to digest and try your suggestions. I have already figured out how to activate the system administrator account. But I found that the result was to hide just about everything in my normal user account. Didn't spend much effort trying to figure out how to use the system administrator account. Better to check in with someone who knows what they're doing. So I disabled the account for now.

Off to cut a system image. Will check back with you when that is done and I've had a chance to think about your other suggestions.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    May be off subject, but, why did you down grade to 32 bit?

Where did you get this 32 bit DVD, to do the down grade?

5. Macboatmaster

The system admin account does not hide the user folder it simply just does not show until you open Computer C and users
    I still cannot understand as I said on the previous topic when I solved the updates for you using the GPEdit
    why you did not simply to a complete clean install to a blank drive

6. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I did reactivate the system administrator account, but when I tried to create a My Documents folder in the Conklin1a account, the I got a warning that there already was a Public Documents account, and did I want to merge this into my newly created folder? Didn't understand the implications of this, so I canceled out without creating/merging the folders.

That exposed another facet of my ignorance. Don't understand what "Public" means in this context. Who exactly is the "public"? For that matter, if I look under Windows C:\Users, I also find "Default" and a pointer (junction point?) to "Default User". Don't understand what either of these users are.

All things considered, I'm leaning towards just starting over with another install from the 32 bit ISO disk. I don't have anything established on the system, other than some initial work to recreate the setup I'm happy with on my Win-7 Home Premium box which I intend to retire and repurpose.

In hindsight, I made at least two mistakes when I did the first reinstall. The first was whatever I did that caused the setup to create Conklin1a as the user account name. And, I am sorry that I let the machine join my Homegroup when I was offered that option. Having visibility into my old machine caused a lot of unnecessary confusion.

I very much appreciate your interest and help.

7. Macboatmaster

I am totally lost
    why would you want to
    when you say you do not want that account

I suggest you either
    1. Do as I said if you can with the system account, if it allows you access to the documents folder in question
    OR
    2. Run the file in my other point to take ownership
    OR
    3. Start again with a clean install to a drive with NO partitions

8. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    In answer to Dave A's questions. I did the downgrade to allow me to run some VERY old software that is central to my computing life. Much of it is 16 bit, custom written (by me) and not realistically replaceable. I would love to be able to rebuild all of this stuff, but it would probably take the rest of my life to do it.

I went through this same process several years ago to downgrade a laptop that was purchased with Win-7 Home Premium. Had no problems with that conversion. I had saved a bookmark to a web page that summarized how to accomplish the conversion, and from that page there is a link that explained several alternatives for obtaining a fresh ISO from Microsoft. I downloaded a tool (Heidoc Windows and Office ISO Download Tool) that facilitated the ISO download. The link to that source is https://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/.

Mac, I've pretty much decided to take your option 3. I took the precaution of cutting a system image from the original 64-bit install, along with a system repair disk, so worst case, I can still go back to the as-purchased state of the machine. Still need to make an image of the current state of the 32-bit install.

9. Macboatmaster

you have nothing to lose once your personal data is backed up by trying the reg file download I sent you

10. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Well, I decided to bite the bullet and just scrub the disk and start over, for several reasons. One is the prospect of living with a "schizophrenic" user account name. And, although I don't understand how some previous owner's settings could possibly have survived the refurbisher's cleanup of the machine and my first reinstall, your advise to remove all the old partitions and reinstall clean pretty much guarantees there is no possibility of any carryover from past users.

The reinstall on the scrubbed disk went without a hitch, and I've had no further problems setting the machine up, although I still have a lot of work to do.

Many thanks for your help.

11. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  12. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks. I'd already spotted that article in the "sticky" section. A good guide, but I'd already done the first install before I spotted it. Not having any more problems with getting the machine running and up to date. Remaining work is installing software and tweaking about a million personal preference settings to recreate the environment I'm accustomed to.

13. Macboatmaster

Good
    as I said when you are ready mark it solved

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!