1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Still in the planning stages

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by janlafata, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Before I get myself a nice clean version of Vista I would like to go over some things with you experts. First of all I downloaded and ran the Windows Upgrade advisor only to have it fail. That worries me!...And I'm still unsure about the minimum requirements. I did run the PC Pitstop Vista Advisor and the only problem it came up with was not enough free disk space. But that was based, for some reason on my D drive which I don't even run my XP on.

So I'm a little confused on the free space part. On my C drive I have 21 GB total. Is that enough to run Vista if I do a clean install? I read that Vista recommends at least 40GB of hard disk space and at least 15 of it free. If that's the case would I be ok I would I need to widen my partition to accomodate Vista?

I have a an AMD 64 bit 1.8 GHZ processor, a DVD drive , 1.5 GHZ of RAM and a 128 MB Video Card. I run a Seagate 80 GB hard drive that has three partitions and I also run a 450 Watt power supply.

Also everyone says to wait a while, maybe even until the first service pack to come out to install it. What are your feelings about this?

2. Sirlink

Sirlink

Dont stress too much about the upgrade advisor failing. if you read M$ coments about it they say it does not like 64bit computers. It fialed on mine as well.
    I have successfully installed vista on partitions as small as 7g but that makes it run like crap. If you purchased the upgrade version of vista you will have to start the instalation from inside your windows OS. what it will do is shove the current windows stuff into a folder called "windows.old". So if you have a fresh install of XP the windows.old folder will be minimum 3gigs. I would highly recomend allocating more to it than 15g because it is a rescourse hog.

3. oliver.d

oliver.d

I was lead to believe Windows Vista Upgrade edition does not require an existing version of XP OS to be installed on the PC and I am pretty sure that is correct. You can also run a clean install from the upgrade version.

So I would backup documents etc onto a CD or DVD and do a clean install from the vista dvd, upgrade or otherwise.

Also - with that spec, I wouldnt worry too much about windows vista performance, it should be fine. Video card, potentially problematic, but I wouldnt worry about it.

4. Sirlink

Sirlink

The upgrade cd can be used without a OS on the system however you cannot enter the product key because it will not detect an os and will stop the install.
    Here is the down low of how to get around it:
    if you want to do a clean install from an upgrade dvd you have to launch the start up from inside an OS and select "custom install" if you have aready killed your XP you can install vist without the cd key and then reinstall it from inside vista this time using the key:eek: cheating but it works for the time. Remember you do not want to activate it online if you are not entering the key or bad mojo starts happining. I would recomend backing up anything important befor dumping any thin any were because if it goes south you can hose your entire system and be up [email protected]#$ crick.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice