1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Still major problems, no replies...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Hibou, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hibou

Hibou Thread Starter

This is a repost. I'm desperate, can anyone help me out? (running ME)

Well, where should I start? I guess I started having problems a few weeks ago as I noticed my system (PII 400, 256 megs, ATI Rage Fury, 17GB HD 7GB free, burner, etc) was slowing down dramaticaly when left idle for a few minutes. The HD kept working continuously. Wasn't too concerned at 1st, but it stated getting worse. So I did a cleanup (scandisk, defrag), but I had a very difficult time as something was continuously writing to my HD. I figured out how to stop all these running processes, so I finally was able to complete this cleanup. Ocassionally, the system would freeze and I had to turn the system off (with the switch) and restart. It did not help. I also ran a virus scan, and I removed a Jsnoclose thing, but that was it.

I also ran a systems monitor program, and it tells me my kernal usage is at 100% when the system is virtualy frozen. I'm also getting kernal32.dll errors. This sounds serious.

I then tried cleaning up the start up through msconfig, but that hasn't helped either. I recently tried Spybot, and that increased the speed of my system, but it still didn't fix the slowing down after idling problem, which is now quite bad as it can take 5 to 10 minutes to shut down (when that works).

Now, on top of everything else, my system displays at 640x480 in 16 colors and I cannot change it (I tried the settings, but to no avail... it doesn't even gine all my display options!). I even got a few wierd error messages(kernel32 caused error, rundll32 caused error in mmsystem.dll). Anyway, I've tried several things and I have this feeling this house of cards is about to drop.

Can anyone shed some light, somewhere?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice