1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

still popping up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Taarna, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taarna

Taarna Thread Starter

Hi! 1st Thankyou to helping me with eleminating most of the popups that I have been having trouble with, I am running XP home ed, and yes I have have kaaza lite, but whats odd is that the second desktop has no trouble with pop ups at all, only on the one, I have disabled the messenger in the tasks and I dont have anything in the startup list, I have downloaded adware6 to clean the spyware but I am unsure of what to delete in the list it gives of found files,are the files these spyware cleaning tools find just spyware? and is it safe to delete what they have found? if anyone can give me a hand with this I would very much apprieciate it.

2. Tequila454

Tequila454

Disabling msgsr in the task list isn't going to help do the following and you'll be a happy camper. :)

-- Click on the Start button in the taskbar
    -- Open Control Panels
    -- Go to "Administrative Tools" (XP users may need to go to "Performance and Maintenance" first, then "Administrative Tools")
    -- Double-click on "Services"
    -- Scroll down to "Messenger"
    -- Double-click on "Messenger"
    -- Change the Startup type to "Disabled"
    -- Click "Stop" to stop the service

3. Tequila454

Tequila454

As for the spyware in the list, yes you can pretty much wipe it all out but if your worried about it read the discription of the ware and that'll lay it out for you or ask if theres one specific ware that your not sure about.

4. Taarna

Taarna Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me, I did do that the first time I disabled messenger,and have done so again just to be sure, so I am thinking that maybe in the windows task manager i might have to make some adjustments .. do I need to end the process? as well? but I think the adware 6 will hopefully rid the other desktop of the rest of the popups .. for sum reason I am not plagued by them on my desk top :D fortunately.. and for the spyware list it does give quite abit of info on the items listed but not what program they were or are associated with..that I've found as of yet..am still looking..
    and that would be a help 4 sure to clarify if its a needed ap or not
    ..is there possibly a site that can identify these items for me?
    Thanks so much for your help
    Most Apprieciated!!

5. Flrman1

Flrman1

The simplest answer to this is that any app that requires spyware to function is invasive and unnecessary and should be removed and a spyware free alternative installed IMO.

You should allow Spybot or Adaware to remove all the items they target for removal. Many of these programs cause instability and crashes in your PC. Not to mention the fact that they are an invasion of your privacy.

It would be a good idea to post a Hijack This log for perusal.

Please do this. Go here http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download Hijack This. Un Zip it and click on the Hijackthis.exe.

Click the "Scan" button when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.

Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

Do NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless. Someone here will be glad to advise you on what to fix.

6. normmork

normmork

hi taarna
    I would suggest the same, scan with Ad-aware 6 first, use the links below if needed. A new AA6 reference file was released yesterday. Remove the objects AA6 finds. If you want you can post an AA6 log file for review. Then rescan with Hijackthis and post a its log

BUILD 181 of Ad-aware 6, found here: Ad-Aware 6

Set it up according to these instructions: AA6 Setup

Latest reference file found here: New Reference File. USe the globe icon in AA6 to start webupdate

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice