1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Still reading posts Rude?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cora, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

Tech member "Rude" explained to do a system back up on my PC to go to start>all programs>accessories> system tools> system back-up
    But instead of back up I have system restore, so is that the same thing?

I feel very ignorant and someone told me to use the XP Tour on my menu, it tells me nothing. I don't see how "system restore" helps you when you get a virus. :confused:

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

Back up and system restore are 2 different things .. Restore takes you back to a time when you knew for sure that the system was working awesome .. a system backup basically does what it says "Backs up" you system .. so if you get a virus fix it with what ever tool you are using then try a system restore date back before you had the virus then run your updated anti virus software again.
    Hope this is what you were looking for
    Peter

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to backup data files, system backup works ok. If you want to backup an entire drive, then I would use an imaging program. Some system files cannot be backed up with the system backup [because these files are in use] If you try and backup the entire drive you will get a message that some files could not be backed up. Here is a link for Acronis True Image they have a trial version you can download for free. Of all of the imaging programs [Ghost, Drive Image, and True Image] my favorite [and the only one I use now] is Acronis True Image.

4. Cora

Cora Thread Starter

Thanks, to both, just what I needed to know (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice