Still sticking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abstracts

Could you offer any explanation as to why my hard drive is still seemingly sticking. It now does it 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes more often. I've taken off third party defrag as was suggested, but it seems to be worse.

etaf

Wayne
can you explain in detail what you mean by sticking , and how you know its sticking ?

abstracts

Initially it occurred on startup in the morning after being off for the night, it would start making a very audible rythmic sound for a couple of minutes or so. When this happens nothing works. I can't access anything nor come off anything should I want to, until it has stopped. Increasingly over the last couple of weeks the frequency of this has increased to 2 or 3 or more times a day. It isn't the easiest thing to describe in words but hopefully this helps. One of your colleagues reccommended taking 3rd party defrag off which I have done and I do defrag and clean often.

etaf

Wayne
sounds like the first sign the harddrive failure - sometimes refereed to the "click of death"

i would make sure you have a backup of all your , data, images, movies, emails, favourites etc

how old is the PC - make and exact model

i would also run a program like
http://www.belarc.com

SIW - System Information for Windows
http://www.gtopala.com/

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

and save the info - so you know all the hardware on the PC , when you rebuild the PC if you choose that route - it will be useful for drivers

do you have any recovery CDs ? - as you will need those

if its quite old ., it maybe more effective to buy a new tower if its that type of PC or laptop

abstracts

The only important stuff I have on it is photos, Tiffs and Jpegs. I've got a 5gb memory stick which would be big enough. Can I use that? Technical info is:
Dell Dimension DIM 5100
Pentium(R) CPU 2.8GHz
2.79GHz 0.99GB RAM
The computer is about 9 yrs old

abstracts

I've just been given a tower by a friend. On the strength of what you have said I need to crack on and change over. I am in the process of cleaning bits off I don't need, one of your colleagues suggested I should "format the hard drive and do a clean reinstall". What does this involve.

etaf

Wayne
I should "format the hard drive and do a clean reinstall". What does this involve.
to achieve what ?
if the harddrive is failing then that will not fix the issue , maybe useful to fix any software issues of freezing , but i think its the harddrive failure that is causing the issue

whats involved
putting the windows restore CDs or full version of windows CD into the PC - setting up the bios to boot from the CD first if not already set
follow the instructions on screen - chances are its an ide harddrive so you will not get issues with sata drivers needed
then once windows re-installed , you may then need to install the drivers from DELLS website - so make sure you know all the hardware on the PC before you start
theres quite a few useful videos on youtube on how to re-install windows

so 1st question , do you have the recovery CDs that should have come with the PC

there is a service tag number on the label on the PC and that is useful to find your PC on the DELL website

EDIT
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1030348-previously-owned-tower.html

after all that you meant the new tower dah!!!!!!!!

i will answer the other post - so we do not have two running for same question

abstracts

I recently ran a trial version of something called Regcleaner. It highlighted a couple of hundred anomalies in my computer, but this particular version, it informed me, would only sort out 31 of them. But in the process of doing so it appears to have completely solved the problem I have been having and describing to you, with my hard drive. It had been bugging me for many, many months, so it would be great if someone can offer up some theory as what has happened.

etaf

Wayne
thanks for letting us know
I'm surprised reg cleaners usually do more damage then fix things and are not recommended by this forum
also with a 9year old harddrive I would make sure you back up important material regularly - the drive when it fails may give no warning

glad its all sorted now , and thanks for letting us know
You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner.
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online