1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Still sticking

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by abstracts, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

Could you offer any explanation as to why my hard drive is still seemingly sticking. It now does it 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes more often. I've taken off third party defrag as was suggested, but it seems to be worse.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you explain in detail what you mean by sticking , and how you know its sticking ?

3. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

Initially it occurred on startup in the morning after being off for the night, it would start making a very audible rythmic sound for a couple of minutes or so. When this happens nothing works. I can't access anything nor come off anything should I want to, until it has stopped. Increasingly over the last couple of weeks the frequency of this has increased to 2 or 3 or more times a day. It isn't the easiest thing to describe in words but hopefully this helps. One of your colleagues reccommended taking 3rd party defrag off which I have done and I do defrag and clean often.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the first sign the harddrive failure - sometimes refereed to the "click of death"

i would make sure you have a backup of all your , data, images, movies, emails, favourites etc

how old is the PC - make and exact model

i would also run a program like
    http://www.belarc.com

SIW - System Information for Windows
    http://www.gtopala.com/

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

and save the info - so you know all the hardware on the PC , when you rebuild the PC if you choose that route - it will be useful for drivers

do you have any recovery CDs ? - as you will need those

if its quite old ., it maybe more effective to buy a new tower if its that type of PC or laptop

5. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

The only important stuff I have on it is photos, Tiffs and Jpegs. I've got a 5gb memory stick which would be big enough. Can I use that? Technical info is:
    Dell Dimension DIM 5100
    Pentium(R) CPU 2.8GHz
    2.79GHz 0.99GB RAM
    The computer is about 9 yrs old

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I've just been given a tower by a friend. On the strength of what you have said I need to crack on and change over. I am in the process of cleaning bits off I don't need, one of your colleagues suggested I should "format the hard drive and do a clean reinstall". What does this involve.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    to achieve what ?
    if the harddrive is failing then that will not fix the issue , maybe useful to fix any software issues of freezing , but i think its the harddrive failure that is causing the issue

whats involved
    putting the windows restore CDs or full version of windows CD into the PC - setting up the bios to boot from the CD first if not already set
    follow the instructions on screen - chances are its an ide harddrive so you will not get issues with sata drivers needed
    then once windows re-installed , you may then need to install the drivers from DELLS website - so make sure you know all the hardware on the PC before you start
    theres quite a few useful videos on youtube on how to re-install windows

so 1st question , do you have the recovery CDs that should have come with the PC

there is a service tag number on the label on the PC and that is useful to find your PC on the DELL website

EDIT
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1030348-previously-owned-tower.html

after all that you meant the new tower dah!!!!!!!!

i will answer the other post - so we do not have two running for same question

9. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I recently ran a trial version of something called Regcleaner. It highlighted a couple of hundred anomalies in my computer, but this particular version, it informed me, would only sort out 31 of them. But in the process of doing so it appears to have completely solved the problem I have been having and describing to you, with my hard drive. It had been bugging me for many, many months, so it would be great if someone can offer up some theory as what has happened.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for letting us know
    I'm surprised reg cleaners usually do more damage then fix things and are not recommended by this forum
    also with a 9year old harddrive I would make sure you back up important material regularly - the drive when it fails may give no warning

glad its all sorted now , and thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice