1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stinking Service Pack 2 And Yahoo Woes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HowdeeDoodee, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HowdeeDoodee

HowdeeDoodee Thread Starter

Not only did SP2 kill my Mozilla, now I find I cannot receive Yahoo College Sports Broadcast. On a computer running Win98 I receive the internet stream just fine. But on my newer machine with XP and SP2, no stream can be found by the Yahoo screen using Win Media Player. I emailed Yahoo asking for a workaround but seriously doubt if they will ever get back to me. Do any of you geniuses have any input on this problem or am I just dirt on this one?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It's probably the XP firewall blocking it. It's turned on by default in SP2. You may have to open a specific port but I'm not sure which one without researching it. Have you tried turning off the firewall to see if works without it? I'm not suggesting leaving it off, just a test to see if that's what's causing it.

I haven't loaded SP2 yet but in SP1 you can turn off the firewall this way ...

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Network Connections. Right click your connection and select Properties. Then click on the Advanced tab.

BTW, just noticed it's Windows Media Player that's not getting the feed, is that true? Have you tried other sites that offer streaming video to see if it's just something specific to Yahoo?

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I have to go, I moved your thread to the XP forum. Someone will help you there. I'll check later to see how it's coming ...

4. HowdeeDoodee

Thanks Bryan. Yes, the firewall issue was the first thing I thought of. Turned it off but turning it off made no difference. The only change on my system from the last time I accessed Yahoo Broadcast and now was the installation of SP2.

5. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

6. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you Dust Sailor. I will check this out. I did notice two days ago Norton Antivirus automatic update would not download. Wonder how many other programs don't work with SP2? Wonder what kind of Beta Test they did with SP2?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice