1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stirke F1 key to restart F2 to enter setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wjbrown1981, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wjbrown1981

wjbrown1981 Thread Starter

I recently attempted to plug my Main drive from my dell optiplex gx150 into my hp pavillion x1410n. after failing in getting the hp to recognize my drive from the dell, i reinstalled it into my dell and got the following message after my bios started up, strike F1 key to restart F2 to enter setup. the jumpers on both drives are set to cable select and the C: drive is connected at the end of the ribbon cable, my storage drive in the middle. ive entered setup to find that my bios is configured for auto detect of ide devices and its reporting the correct name and size of both of my hard drives. I inserted my xp home setup cd and selected the repair option. typed in fixboot at the prompt. then rebooted my machine. this time upon booting i got message in the upper left corner of my screen that read a series of letters with failed at the end. it displayed for a second then my comp restarted itself. so i then decided to simply reinstall windows completely. after following the prompts and selecting format with ntfs, setup copied the files needed for setup to my drive. (This means that drive is readable and writable yes?) then it restarted again and it still refuses to boot this time again showing ::stirke F1 key to restart F2 to enter setup:: I need this machine up and running to retrieve my important files from my storage drive. any help or advise i can get would be appreciated. (id rather not try hooking the storage drive up to my hp like the main one to retrieve the files, then have history repeat itself :) ) Thanks in advance.

note: theres only one difference ive noticed since i put it back in and thats in the initial boot screen. at the top of the blue dell letters it reads:
    Property of Fresno City College. it was done by their tech team. But now it reads
    @roperty of Fresno City College.
    could this possibly indicate a corrupt bios? and would it be possible to update the bios from a cd without booting an os?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice