stisvc.exe using >90% CPU?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Klankster

I noticed a system slowdown and found that stisvc.exe is using >90% of my CPU. I'm not using the scanner or a digital camera; is there some reason this process is running like this? Spyware, perhaps?

Running Win2K with all service packs and up-to-date Windows Update stuff.

Appreciate any input on how to troubleshoot this.

-Tom

Give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis StartupList.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

The Startuplist is different than the Scanlog. To create the Startuplist click Config > Misc Tools, put a check in "List Minor Sections" and click Generate Startuplist.

Let us see that. It will show configured services as well as running processes and starting applications.

Some trojans do mimic system processes but will load from different locations.

Go to control panel/ administrative tools / services and scroll down to windows image ac , double click on it , set it to disable then stop and apply. Then reboot and you should no longer see it in task manager.

No need to format just yet. Lets troubleshoot first as all situatons are different and most are repairable, but thanks Keebs for the suggestion.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online