1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stisvc.exe using >90% CPU?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Klankster, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Klankster

Klankster Thread Starter

I noticed a system slowdown and found that stisvc.exe is using >90% of my CPU. I'm not using the scanner or a digital camera; is there some reason this process is running like this? Spyware, perhaps?

Running Win2K with all service packs and up-to-date Windows Update stuff.

Appreciate any input on how to troubleshoot this.

-Tom

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis StartupList.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

The Startuplist is different than the Scanlog. To create the Startuplist click Config > Misc Tools, put a check in "List Minor Sections" and click Generate Startuplist.

Let us see that. It will show configured services as well as running processes and starting applications.

Some trojans do mimic system processes but will load from different locations.

3. mobo

mobo

Go to control panel/ administrative tools / services and scroll down to windows image ac , double click on it , set it to disable then stop and apply. Then reboot and you should no longer see it in task manager.

4. keebs

keebs

i suggest you format im thinking its a virus because before i had my iexplorer.exe taking up all my cpu usage and when i formated everything worked fine but maybe you can fix it up by looking for a virus at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ or just get norton any more questions email me at [email protected]

5. mobo

mobo

No need to format just yet. Lets troubleshoot first as all situatons are different and most are repairable, but thanks Keebs for the suggestion.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!