1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stoopid IE dosent know ive got ICS and it is irritating me

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thecaravanman, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thecaravanman

thecaravanman Thread Starter

hi,

I have set up ICS with 2 laptops. the host is working fine. the client shows the interent gateway but wen i try to start IE then the bitchy thing tries to dial a connection on the old accounts that it used to but it cant coz ive unplugged it (hahaha!)

How do i get it to use the net over the gateway???

I'm not using a router - too expensive.

thanks,
    Matt

2. Rockn

Rockn

Set your connection type to LAN on your IE Tools > Options > connections.

3. coulterp

coulterp

On the client giving difficulty:

IE / Tools / Internet Options / Connections
    Enable the "Never dial a connection" option (and if necessary check the details behind the LAN Settings button).

4. thecaravanman

Hi,

I have set to "never dial a connection"

Now it just comes up with page cannot be didplayed errors.

Rockn - how do i set the connection type to "LAN", I cant see it?

also once this is set up then I will want to leave the host laptop downloading for long periods while im not there. will it be ok or will the connection be dropped?

thanks
    matt

5. thecaravanman

Hi,

If i do use a router will it solve my problems and also will I be able to use WinVNC on the computer that is downloading?

6. Rockn

Rockn

The router is the best option as you will more than likely have disconnect issues with ICS. YOu can pretty much do anything you like with a router in the mix you just need to forward the correct ports to connect to your PC from the outside.

7. thecaravanman

Hi,

I have decided to get a router

I have to get a router with a modem because the modem bt gave is only usb plus its crap.

I could get this one but it only has 1 port. how could i use the 2 laptops on it? using a hub? I dont know.

Or i could getthis but whats the difference from the one above?

or i could get this , a bit more expensive but has 4 ports.

Also would I be able to use WinVPC on one of the PCs behind the router? would it work??

And if I buy one of these routers will it definately fix my problems?

THanks help is greatly appreciated!

matt

8. coulterp

coulterp

Couldn't see much difference in the first two routers you listed, other than a model number of 8000 vs 8100 and a cost diff of ca. £8 (certainly the blurb on the page read more or less identically).
    Not that I have experience of these particular models but of the bunch the third one (the 4 port) at ca.£32 is the one I would go for because of the 4 ports. In answer to you first question, yes to use the two laptops you would need a hub or switch and you'd be hard pressed to add that in with the 1-port router and get it for less that the 4-port modem/router in the first place.

Yes I use WinVPC behind my NAT router all the time (you just need to set up port-forwarding). Both in and out of my LAN (e.g. to/from work, etc) and between PCs on the LAN.

Nothing is guarenteed in life - but a modem/router should certainly got 2 laptops networked with less difficulty than ICS!

9. thecaravanman

Hi,

OK I will probably get the 4 port router, but WinVNC isn't working at the moment even without it. I have made a new thread about this.

THanks,
    Matt

10. coulterp

coulterp

11. thecaravanman

I have tried them , is there a way of searching through them?

Also it must be quite a common problem I have? Dosnet anyone else here know the answer?

thanks, matt

12. thecaravanman

I saw something that old me to type "netstat -n -a -p tcp" into the command window to fibod out if port 5900 is open. I did but it just flashed up a dos screen for a millisecond and dissapperaed again.

thanks,
    Matt

13. coulterp

coulterp

Have you tried the site http://www.gotomyvnc.com/ which will show you if the required ports are open? Run the check and find out.

14. thecaravanman

Hi,

I've sorted it, even though i disabled Zonelalarm, Windows firewall was still running and this was blocking the connection.

Anyway thanks for your help!,
    Matt

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice