1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

STOP: 0X0000001E Problem!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Skitz37, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am really stressed about my BSOD problem w/ my Windows 2000 Professional 2Pk operating system. My computer will not startup properly then goes to blue screen w/ the message...

STOP: 0X0000001E (0xc0000005, 0XEB9E09FA, 0x00000000, 0x00000118) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Address EB9E909FA base at EB9E0000,
    Date stamp 46eac08d-ohctusb.sys

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Dumping physical memory to disk: (then it counts down to 100 and reboots starting the above process all over again).

I've been looking for help online and speaking to people but everyone is down on me for still using Windows 2000 Professional. Am willing to upgrade to XP if I can figure out the current problem.

So far I have: purchased Registry Fix, tried using the ERD, Recovery Console, and clean nstallation. Nothing works but the good news is that it does work in SAFE MODE and all of my files are there.

PLEASE help. I'm not sure what to do next.

Best,

Isabel:confused: :mad: :confused:

2. Claymore

Claymore

Take a look here:
    Windows 2000 Stop Errors
    Scroll down to your Stop Error. Your offending driver is ohctusb.sys. You may need to reinstall this driver - a USB hub, maybe? Look at the installation disks for any USB devices you've installed, and uninstall/re-install them.

Luck!

3. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

I'm going to look into it. Thank you.

4. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hi. The driver in question was installed through a Verizon DSL program that came w/ a new modem/router. I had to uninstall the program and delete the driver to get my computer to work right. Should I try to reinstall it? Not sure how to proceed.

5. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

You could try re-installing. Wont do any harm. If it fails again, give Verizon a call.

6. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Now I know why you are a Senior Member. Many many thanks. You've done your good deed for the day.

Isabel

7. Claymore

Claymore

Good one, Isabel

No one should be down on you for using Windows 2000. Been using it for years, like millions of others. A solid operating system if you don't need a lot of fluff.

8. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hi Claymore...little problems now. Whatever Verizon is trying to upload to my computer using that ohctusb.sys driver seems to be the sole problem but I discovered from playing w/ the modem/router that I can still get internet (not 100% perfect) without connecting the Modem to the USB port. I do not know how to disable a driver so I simply deleted ohctusb.sys from the driver file and removed all Verizon programs from my computer. The driver stays gone unless I reload the Verizon DSL setup or run RegistryFix. My solution is not to do the full DSL setup w/ Verizon and to not allow Registryfix to repair ohctusb.sys. Is that the best solution or are there other routes? Trust me I do not want to deal w/ Verizon on this. They send me to a phone bank in India where the staff, who are nice, but are so scripted that it is difficult to get good help. And...you are on the phone w/ them for hours. :(

You have been so helpful and it is much appreciated! Any advice on disabling a driver or have I already done that?

Also, do you think I need to upgrade to XP. It seems Microsoft is trying to force everyone into Vista which I don't like.

Isabel

9. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again, Isabel

Sorry for all your trouble. One thing is for sure - you won't be alone with this problem, although Verizon's Support doesn't show anything. I suppose if you can live with reduced connection speed or bandwidth, then it's a way to go for now. Maybe they have different drivers for Windows 2k. I would be looking at an alternative DSL provider, if there's one in your area. I understand the difficulty in dealing with the good folks in Apu-land (Make us proud, Sanjay). I've experienced this myself. It's awful you have to fight for something you're paying good money for.
    I don't see why you would have to "upgrade" to XP just so you can have quality internet service - it's not really an "upgrade" anyway - Windows 2k is a great operating system. One thing, though, about XP is its improved hardware detection ability, so that would be a distinct advantage.

10. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Well I just don't want to be left too far behind and everyone (most techs & computer nuts) are telling me my system needs "upgrading." I just don't know if I want or need to. What the pros and cons are. I don't want Windows 2000 to hold me back.

11. Claymore

Claymore

If you're decided to switch to XP you need to know first if your hardware will support it enough to make it run to its best advantage. I see you have another thread running about this. You should be aware that it's a bit of a job and there can be problems. If you've got the bucks, one idea is to purchase a new hard drive, pull the Win2k drive and install XP on the new drive. This way you can then set the Win2k drive as a slave, re-attach it, and copy over all your data.
    This is better than just installing over top of Win2k as you risk leaving problems in place. Again, if you have the bucks, purchase a full retail version of XP and not the cheaper Upgrade version. Windows Home is usually just fine for normal users.

Some things you should be aware of:
    You will have to find and download your hardware drivers for XP. You should do this before you install XP and save them to a CD or other removable media.
    You will have to re-install your programs. Hopefully they will work in XP. Copy any installation files to a CD or USB flash drive before doing anything.

Download this program and install it:

Everest

Run the program and look in the Summary section.
    Look in the Motherboard section and write down the info for CPU type (especially the speed (in MHz)).
    Write down the System Memory
    In the Storage section, write down the Disk Drive info, especially the size.

Post these 3 pieces of information in your other thread.

You will get all kinds of opinions about how much "oomph" you need. A lot depends on what you use the computer for.

The Everest program also contains clickable links for most items that will take you to the manufacturer's website for drivers. Get the XP drivers for your hardware in advance and save to a CD or USB flash drive. You should get the drivers for Video, Audio, Network Adapter. You probably have a CD to install your printer.

If you're told that you need to upgrade a bunch of hardware, such as hard drive, video card, RAM, CPU, etc. You should look at the cost vs. just purchasing a new machine, which will come with the drivers already installed. Also factor in the cost of purchasing XP itself.

12. tjk176

tjk176

I'm not so sure it's verizon's fault. I'm getting the exact same error and nothing to do with verizon on this pc. Actually it's a brand spankin fresh install. I was assuming it's the usb ports built in the motherboard.

13. tjk176

tjk176

14. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

After Verizon programs uninstalled the problem went away. The problem happened a couple of days after installing the Verizon program. At this point it appears that the Verizon download was the problem. I'll check into your theory. Thanks.

15. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hi. This looks like it is a virus. My computer is working but I'm not sure I am completely free of it. Any luck on your end?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!