1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

STOP 0x00000024 on Dell Lattitude E5500

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcproblem05, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcproblem05

pcproblem05 Thread Starter

Hello,

I forced a shut down on my Dell Laptop and when I attempted to turn it back on, a black screen with these options:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Last Known Configuration
    Start Windows Normally

I choose Start Windows Normally then a blue screen pops up with the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Technical information: *** STOP: 0X00000024

How do I fix this problem???

I've read a few things on this problem already, but not sure of the process completely. I would greatly appreciate your help!

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

That's called a blue screen of death (BSOD). Not to fear, they are helpful...

If you can restart the computer, start it and tap F8 during the initial BIOS stage. Your PCs manufacturer might be on screen (usually). This should take you back to the same menu. This time select Last Known Configuration and try that...

After that you can try Safe Mode to see if you can boot to that area and perhaps run a System Restore...

3. pcproblem05

Thanks for your reply!

I ran a Diagnostics test, which wasn't fully successful.

Next, I booted my computer back up using the Windows XP CD that came with my computer (which took about 2 hrs) and did the chkdsk /r process.

After I was able to get back into my computer, I removed the Windows XP CD and shut down. I then restarted the computer and noticed that everything seemed fine, but I don't see my "Start" button anymore ( which is preventing me from doing almost everything.

How do I fix this problem?

Thanks!

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

pcproblem...

Do you have a Windows key on your keyboard? If so, press the key to see if the Start Menu will pop up...

If so you can run a command from the start menu to restore the button...NP it can be run from the Task Manager, too.

Actually, do this. Make sure you have logged in as the Administrator of the computer. If you haven't created any accounts but the one for yourself or none at all, that will be automatically true. Once you are the administrator and logged on, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager. Open the first tab "Applications". Now right click on any open portion of the area where the program names show up in the Window (not on top of one of the program names). Select "New Task Run". In the pop up type cmd. Now just type the following command:

sfc /scannow

This is the system file checker. It will check all your system files and then fix any that have been overwritten incorrectly...If it asks for an XP CD/DVD, try yours to see if that will work. Here is more information:

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_system_file_checker_and_how_do_i_run_it.html

We'll go to the next routine if this doesn't work...

5. pcproblem05

I tried your steps, but there weren't any files in the Task Managers>Applications, but I still followed the steps you listed. Unfortunately, it didn't work so I'm in the process of doing a "repair install." I'm almost half way done, but after it rebooted I left the XP CD inside and it's now stuck on the Windows XP screen.

Should I force a shut down?

Or what do you suggest?

6. AtlBo

AtlBo

Yes, just force the shut down. Wait 10-15 seconds after the shut down and then re-boot...

If the start button is not present when you boot into XP. We'll move onto the next step. Not sure what yet as running a System Restore is out. That could bring back your boot problem.

I think I would suggest a trip to the malware board. You could title your post something like..."XP PC Boot BSOD Problems-Virus?"

7. pcproblem05

Thank you very much for your help so far, Altbo. I really appreciate it!!

I forced the shut down last night and turned the computer back on today. It loaded up everything and the start button is fixed, so it seems to be doing ok.

However, a dialog box appeared saying "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path 1".

Also, when I tried to delete a picture file, it's saying "The Recycling Bin on C:/ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycling Bin for this drive. Yes or No?"

Being that my comp had a forced shut down, I didn't get a chance to finish Part 2 of the repair install. I was recommended to this site to reference from:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair2.htm

Is it necessary to finish this Part 2? If so, how would I continue with the process?

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

For a home computer, you would not need to finish part 2. That's for a corporate work group set up.

As for the problem with recylcle bin...There is a fix for the recycle bin at Kelly's Korner. It's 64-b (the second column of line 64). You can try it and see if that works. I have seen many reports of success with Kelly's fix, and I have used a few successfully over the years, so I guess it works. Her little page there is quite famous in case you haven't heard of her or it. Here is the link:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If that doesn't work, load the CD into the CD drive, boot to it and the installation process will start. When you get to this screen:

http://0.tqn.com/d/pcsupport/1/5/8/0/-/-/rc3.jpg

select the 2nd option to repair using the recovery console. Follow the nstructions to run chkdsk /r:

http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=5097

It that does not work, you can rerun the Repair Installation, since it started but did not finish before. This is probably your best option at this point to see if that will repair the damaged recycle bin. Hopefully, it will finish if you have to go this route...

9. pcproblem05

Thanks for the link, but when I tried to click on the 64-b (the second column of line 64), a dialog box appeared and asked permission to run something onto my computer, and I denied it.

I'm going to go with the repair install again and see what happens. I'll post my results.

Also, should I click Yes or No on the Recycling Bin dialog box?

10. AtlBo

AtlBo

Click the x...If that doesn't work just go ahead and try Kelly's fix (see below) or just (put the CD in and...) "Restart" and run your Repair Installation...

Don't be afraid of Kelly's Korner. The pop up is the file to download to repair your recycle bin. This site is as old as the hills. Google "Kelly's Korner" to get opinions on the site. Or Google "Kelly's Korner recycle bin" to see what others say about the file or Google "Kelly's Korner 64 recycle bin". She has become a complete PC saint since she passed away a few years ago after helping so many people. If you decide to try it, just click run when you get the dialog next time.

If you run the repair or try Kelly's fix, please let me know where you stand when it's done...

11. pcproblem05

I did the repair install, and it got stuck (again) after the process was fully done. I waited for 35 mins and forced a shut down.

I've been following the instructions on how to do the repair install from this site: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operat...prepair1_3.htm

However, I didn't choose to do "Step 3" (I wasn't sure if I should or not).

Do you think being that I didn't do "Step 3", that's the reason for my comp getting stuck on the Windows loading screen and for the Recycling Bin and Path1 issue?

Also, I'm sorry to hear about her passing and I'm very thankful that she was able to help so many ppl in her time. I'll bookmark her site for future reference, thanks for the site.

12. pcproblem05

I'm thinking about doing a file cleanup to remove unnecessary files. Also, I'm going to delete a few personal items to free up some space on my computer's memory space and uninstall a few different programs as well.

I'm still having a few problems with the Recycling Bin, Path1 message, and now the computer says my touch pad can't be found, but it's working just fine.

Hopefully, by me making more memory space will help with these problems. I'll post my results.

Thank you for all your help, it's greatly appreciated!! :D

13. AtlBo

AtlBo

Would this be the step you skipped?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1_3.htm

Scroll down on this page, and you will see the pages numbered for the process if this wasn't what you were using for a guide. The link was to step 3. No this is not necessary for you.

Did you realize the repair walkthrough there is in 2 parts? For example, the above is step 3 for part 1. The link to part 2 is at the bottom of part 1 step 10. There are 10 more steps. Obviously you must have or it hung up before the 2nd 10 steps...

You're welcome about Kelly's Korner. She's the PC liberator to the corporate world.

If you followed the repair process through to completion, you have finished the repair installation.

I have had a couple of similar events with recycle bin...one on Windows 98 and one on XP. The XP one was a situation where some sort of bug was filling the recycle bin and, therefore, filling the hard drive. There were a number of things going on at once there, though. Have you checked to see how much is showing in the recycle bin? Open the bin->select the menu header "View"->click on "Status Bar". Now look at the bottom of the recycle bin to see how much it says is in the bin.

I am assuming you can open the bin. You can also right click on the bin to see how space it is set to use. Right click on the bin->select "Propertes". Click on the Global tab. If there is a check mark in the "Use one setting for all drives" is selected, you won't need to look at the C: drive tab. It will have the same settings you see there. That could tell you if something is out of whack. I believe the default is 10% of the hard drive, but I could be wrong about that.

If you don't learn anything from these, I would say try Kelly's fix. It's not a virus, and it won't break your machine. The page I linked you to is for XP. It's worth a try if you haven't already.

Here is one from Microsoft that might work. Although it's not pointed to your specific problem, it may be a full restore of the recycle bin, which is what you need:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810869

Just click on "Fix this problem"...

14. AtlBo

AtlBo

pcproblem05...do you know how to check how much free space you have on your hard drive....

My Computer->right click on C:->select "Properties"

A PC running XP needs 1.5 times the amount of your RAM from the hard drive for use creating the SWAP file. It's sort of like RAM memory that is on your hard drive. If you have 4 GB of RAM, your SWAP file is taking up 6 GB of the space automatically. It's important to keep disk usage down as much as possible. Keeps the PC from overcooking to find things. I try to max out a 40% disk usage before going to a larger drive. Low disk space can cause many problems.

The types of problems you're having now usually work themselves out with a little attention. Reboots seem to resolve some issues. I think you're overall out of hot water, although there could be more episodes or events...

15. pcproblem05

I decided that I'm going to mark this problem as solved, even though there are a few things I still need to work out, but for the most part it's solved.

Also, I did the following: File Cleanup, Error Checking Tool, and Diskdefrag.

The Recycling Bin issue was fixed on it's own; after I rebooted about 4 diff. times.

However, the current issues I'm still experiencing are: Problems with Add/Remove Programs, Wireless Configuration - Notification dll, Value cannot be null - Parameter name: path1, and a dialog box is reappearing saying Windows Installer - Windows is preparing to install.

Also, I did notice the 2nd part ot the repair install walk through, but it always reboots after the first part and then gets stuck. Ah, well...and yes, I know how to check my free space, I actually only had 5GB at the time of the 1st problem, but now I have 25GB to work with, so that's a relief.

Anywho, thank you AtlBo for all your help and advice! Take care! :)

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice