1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stop: 0x000000D1

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MsFrogette40, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MsFrogette40

MsFrogette40 Thread Starter

Here is the error message on the BSOD:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xFF3F3F45, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBA6C4584)

USBPORT.SYS - Address BA6C4584 base at BA6BB000, DateStamp 41107d62

I am running windows XP home, even did a reformat and reinstalled windows last week. Have added nothing new to the computer recently, except for a new monitor, but have been getting the BSOD for a few weeks now. Any suggestions?

Thank You in Advance,
    MsFrogette40

2. valis

valis Moderator

your usbport.sys driver is corrupt and needs to be replaced. What type of computer is it, is it a laptop or a desktop, and if it's a laptop, is it plugged into a docking station?

v

3. MsFrogette40

It is a home built desktop, the motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X.

4. valis

valis Moderator

did you build it? Do you know the motherboard type/model?

5. MsFrogette40

My husband built it about a year or so ago. All I know about the motherboard is that it's an ASUS A7V8X.

6. MsFrogette40

7. valis

valis Moderator

yup, couldn't hurt. At the very least you should always have a copy of all those on your system in an easily accessible place (c:\drivers\mobo is where I keep mine) in case you need to do some radical os work.

I'm seeing hits all across the board on the usbport.sys. Can you do a search for it on your system and post back what directory it's in? Most likely in system32, but you never know.

How long ago did you reformat?

8. MsFrogette40

I did the search and actually found 2 files, the first was in the system32/drivers folder and the second was in Driver Cache/i386/sp2.cab
    I reformatted last saturday, had to, kept getting a message from Microsoft that my copy of windows wasn't genuine. Was forced to actually purchase a copy, lol.

9. valis

valis Moderator

good (in that you purchased a copy). Seeing as how you don't have a lot of data on there that isn't critical, I am assuming, it may just be easier to pop the cd in the drive, don't boot to it, and search on the disk for that driver. If it's there, copy it to the aforementioned places you found it, reboot, and see what happens. If it's not on the cd, then we got more digging to do.

v

10. MsFrogette40

Very strange... when I copy the usbport file from the windows cd, then navigate to the correct folder on my hard drive and paste it there, it doesn't replace the existing file, it just duplicates it... should I be prompted that that file already exists, and do I want to replace it?

11. valis

valis Moderator

should. Just delete the one on the hard drive, replace it, and you may want to place it somewhere else as you've had issues with it (c:\drivers\misc comes to mind) and you also won't have to hunt for hte cd each time.

Regardless, once done, reboot, adn let me know how it's flying.

v

12. MsFrogette40

Done. Will let you know if the computer shuts down again. It's been happening 2 or 3 times a day at least. In fact it shut down just as I pasted the file, thank goodness I pasted it in time. So we should know soon enough. Thanks so much for your help. I'll let you know either way!

13. valis

valis Moderator

be sure to monitor both the stop error message as well as the event log (start > run > eventvwr.msc).

Thanks,

v

14. MsFrogette40

Grrrrrrrrr.... computer shut down again while trying to call a friend through yahoo messenger with voice. It happens when I am watching the Big Brother live feeds on RealPlayer. Different stop message this time on the BSOD, basically the same, but this one said
    Check to be sure that you have adequate disk space (which I do). If a driver is identified in the stop message (which it isn't), disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x804E2E08, 0xACDA7BD4, 0x00000000)

15. valis

valis Moderator

video is my knee jerk reaction as well. 8e errors are rare, and usually a pain in the rear to troubleshoot. Let's do the obvious, and have you go to your video card mfg and d/l the latest drivers for that.

1. What type of monitor do you have?
    2. What type of video card do you have
    2a. Is it onboard or installed? (did you buy a video card or did it come with the machine)

to find out what type of vc you have, start > dxdiag, then choose yes or no depending on what you want the machine to do (I chose no), then hit the display tab and find the details there.

As I said, we'll start small and work our way up. One final thing, check your event log for any details that occurred at that time.

Thanks,

v

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!