1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stop a website displaying my service provider?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ajrobson, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Not sure if this is the right place or even possible but here goes.

I visit a forum and on the forum next to any post you make it also shows part of your service provider e.g. ---.zone4.bethere.co.uk or ---.hsd1.or.comcast.net. my question is is there a way to stop this or make it display something else?

I ask because my service provider is very specfic and i don't want people who use the site to know my provider (for reason i dont want to go into lol this sounds liek a weird thing its nothing dodgy or weird i promise!)

anyway is there a way to not have it displayed (there is no option on the forums) or have it show something different.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's apparently a forum thing for that specific forum. They obviously query the available information for your ISP and display it for some reason. There may be a configuration in your account options to hide it, have you checked? Are you SURE that it's publicly displayed? It might just be visible to you and perhaps board administration.

If you post a link to one of your posts, we can tell you if a guest can also see it.

3. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Here is a link to a thread on the forum
    I have looked in all the options but there is no mention of this or any way to turn it off.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you're right, I see all of them posted alongside the names. Clearly, this is something the forum does, it's not usual. Have you asked their administration how to disable it?

Obviously, the administration can disable it, this is from that thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice