1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} or Help this computer won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by briskmojo, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. briskmojo

briskmojo Thread Starter

So I just purchased this laptop about two months ago, it was a clearance item at my store. 2.16GHz processor loaded with Windows Vista. First thing I did was wipe the partitions and load XP. Haven't really used the computer much in a while, recently when I tried to boot I got the stop message you see in the title.

Cannot load the hive \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY

Best I can tell I'm going to need to run the OS recovery or just wipe and do a clean install, problem is both require me to be able to boot from the install disc. When I put the disc in and try to start it up I get as far as the Press any key to boot from CD.... part, but after pressing any key it hangs. Thinking maybe the disc could have been damaged from the time I first burned it and used it to install up to then I made a new one but no different results.

Help?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Burned it from what? Why are you not using the original?

3. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  4. briskmojo

briskmojo Thread Starter

Thanks, but as I said in the first post it won't boot from the CD, which is exactly what the link you posted tells me to do.

5. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    Check your settings in the BIOS as related to the CD/DVD optical drive and the boot device order. Or that optical drive may not be fully functional or just needs cleaning. Have you attempted to boot into the safe mode or other options which are in the menu called; "Advanced Options Menu" accessed by pressing a F key such as F8, which has the option; "Last Known Good Configuration" that may help your issue.

6. chesbayside

chesbayside

I am having this same error when booting up a Dell Dimensions 4600C with Windows XP. This used computer was a gift to my son and the 200 mile drive home seems to have corrupted it. We have various discs with it, but none that appear to have XP (why would there an XP disc if its installed on it to begin with). I have tried booting in The Last known Configuration, Safe Mode, and everything else I can get on menus, but end up with blank blue screen and error message. Took a wild stab and bought a $10 disc called PC Wizard Bootable CD Version 5.0. After changing the booting sequence I could get the CD to come up, but have no idea if it can repair the problem - it has an extensive menu of stuff I dont understand. Thanks for any suggestions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!