1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stop cascading windows with IE

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pbman, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

Is there a way so you only have one window instead of many cascading windows for IE?

My wife is getting confused with all the cascaded windows that build in the task bar

Thanks

2. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

What version of IE are you using? Version 8 allows you to open different pages in distinct Tabs within the same window, as do other web browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. The best way to sort this out would be to upgrade.

3. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

I strongly suggest using another internet browser. Firefox and Chrome are my suggestions to try out.

internet exploder has security issues.

4. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

I have IE 8. Tabs have been turned off already. My goal is that the browser stays with only one window and not to open more. So it would not cascade multiple windows behind the task bar icon

5. Ent

Why don't you want tabs enabled? Could you clarify what you're asking for, as it sounds to me like tabs should be what you're after.

6. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

Don't like tabbing

Ok , I'll do my best to explain-

If you open IE , that starts one session. If you minimize that one and hit the icon again that starts a second session. If you minimize both you'll notice a shadow behind the task bar "E" icon. I only want one session at all times. I want to stop multiple sessions.

7. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

When I minimize IE8, and then click the task bar icon it will reopen the IE session.
    BUT, if one is to select a entry in the Start menu or a desktop icon, then YES a additional session will open. It has been this way since Windows 95 and I do not think it will change.

Why is IE being minimized, and then using the desktop icon to reopen it up?

Edit:

Most programs will start a new session EACH time any icon or Start menu entry is selected. So the use of minimizing is will NOT be restored by the use of a desktop icon.

8. Ent

Bear in mind that this is Windows 7, and the task bar and quick launch bar are so far blended as to be indistinct. I don't know what to do about it though, and can't exactly fiddle since I don't have 7.

9. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

Honestly what is the difference between tabbed browsing and having multiple windows with multiple buttons on the task bar?

Nothing, the difference is purely in the location of the "tabs". Tabbed browsers consume FAR less memory than running a new instance of IE for every separate page opened.

BUT, my uncle has the same problem. He complains when i leave the manifest open but minimized and then it doesnt come up when he clicks the desktop icon.

Your solution is to stop opening multiple sessions lol. With tabs turned off, it probably wants to open a new one because it cant open a tab.

10. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

If it is a Windows 7 machine, add the IE to the Task bar, remove the desktop IE icon. Now if minimized, and one has to use the taskbar icon, then a old session will open.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943906