Stop "Enter Network Password" box

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tinman4130

Whenever Windows (Me) is loading it stops when an "Enter Network Password" dialog box pops up.
It asks for a username and password, but I can just click the "OK" button in the box and it goes away and Windows resumes loading.
Since it apparently does not need the information it asks for, how can I just keep the box from displaying?
Thanks...

Maybe someone set a password on your computer. Has anyone used it without your permission or screwed around with it? Sorry, I don't know much about Windows ME but that's some of my guesses.

tinman4130

Thanks Solid_Froggy
I don't think anyone has gotten to the computer to change anything, as it is in my home and I am the only one who has access to it.
It only started doing it about six months ago after a big crash and since you can bypass the password input by simply clicking "OK", I don't think a password has been set.
Thanks again for the quick reply...

If no password is required, it doesn't sound like anyone changed anything without your permission. If they did I would assume they would change it to something a little more difficult.

There is a program called TWEAKUI from Microsoft at http://download.microsoft.com/download/winme/Install/1.0/WinMe/EN-US/Tweakui.exe that will let you change this as well as many other settings.

You could also try adding the Microsoft Family Logon Client to the network configuration and choose that as the default.

tinman4130

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tip on TweakUI but it did not solve the problem in my particular case, although I did use this great utility for a couple of other things.
But while wandering around searching, I stumbled across this site which had a solution that worked perfectly...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

Tinman

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Tinman4130:

If you check the "Tips And Tricks" section, I posted a registry tweak there which will correct the problem. It's titled "How To Get Rid Of Log-in Box During Startup". It works fine for both 98SE and ME.

tinman4130

flavallee,

Thanks, again, for the info.
I searched this forum but not"Tips &Tricks" before my original post.Obviously I'll have to change that the next time.
The Regedit way seems an even better approach to the log-on box "problem".
I am relatively new to computing and am constantly amazed by the variety of ways to accomplish a specific task. I suppose as I gain more knowledge it will become more clear to me why this is, but for now I am happy just to have the options.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Let me know if it works for you. The instructions are simple enough to follow.

I decided to post it in the TIPS & TRICKS section because several people were complaining about the same problem as you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online