1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stop error 221

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AAAmen, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AAAmen

AAAmen Thread Starter

Stop error 221
    I am attempting to install Win2k Professional. Each time, when I get to the screen that reads “Starting Windows” I get the blue screen and Stop error 221. I have removed everything from my Pentium II 400 system (soundcard, modem, IEEE card, NIC card).I still get the same result. However when I install Win98, everything appears to work fine. The error alludes to a mismatch checksum. Can someone shed some light?

2. Dan O

Dan O

A Stop error 221 can mean a bad partition or hard drive. Try deleting all partitions, recreate, and format them.

3. AAAmen

AAAmen Thread Starter

No such luck Dan . But I do appreciate the effort. Thanks. May I also add the first paragraph of the error message......Which is

" Stop Error 00000221{Bad Image Checksum}

The image Version.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

4. Dan O

Dan O

The extra information did help. I found these two item for you but you have done most of what is suggested:

1. Error Message: “Stop Error 0x00000221 (Status image checksum mismatch)”

Translation: The installer program found a corrupt driver or DLL (dynamic-link library) for some hardware device.

Solution: Turn your PC off, open the case, and take out all hardware cards not required for the setup. Leave your video card (and SCSI card if you have a SCSI hard drive or CD), but remove your modem, sound card, scanner card, network adapter, MPEG decoder, etc. After the OS is installed, shut down the machine, plug in one card at a time, boot into the OS, install the drivers for the card, and configure it. Begin with the sound card (because it consumes a lot of resources) and then add your network card, modem card, and others. If you get this error message again, then the hardware you are installing is probably not compatible with your version of Windows. Check with your hardware vendor or Microsoft’s Hardware Compatibility List.

2. I also found information that a BIOS update may fix the problem. Once updated you must enter the CMOS Setup Utility by pressing the DELETE or F1 key and save the CMOS settings.

5. AAAmen

AAAmen Thread Starter

Well...................
    I tried the step of removing every component card, reformatting and reinstalling the OS. The system is completely empty just like you suggest, but I can't get pass this Stop error.,

6. Dan O

Dan O

Then I would guess it's must be the BIOS. Have you looked into getting an upgrade?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice