Stop Error Blue screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djkane

I am getting a stop error message 0x000000F4 I can't even get on Windows. I have a Dell Inspron 1525 with Windows Vista. I can't use safe mode or any of the modes. The hardware diagnostics check was clean. I tried start up repair from the OS disc with nothing. What can I do here

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
How strange....I worked on a laptop last night with the same issue. In fact, it was the same exact laptop.
When I did the Dell Diagnostics tests, it came back with a failed hard drive. But yours passed?
One thing I did read about that error message that I did not try was checking the CMOS battery.
Try popping out the battery, wait 30-60 seconds, and putting it back in.
Otherwise, I would still suspect a failing hard drive.

This has worked for some in the same situation; if it doesn't you probably need to restore to factory settings. If saving data is critical, there are some methods that can be used to do that first, such as removing the drive and connecting it to another computer using a USB to IDE converter device (about 20 bucks) -- or using a self-created boot disk such as UBCD4win or Puppy linux

http://www.ubcd4win.com/
http://www.puppylinux.com/

How to perform a Manual System Restore in Vista

1. Boot to the Windows Recovery Environment and select the Command Prompt

2. At the prompt enter the following commands:

cd windows\system32\config

3. At the prompt cd windows\system32\config> enter the following:

ren default default.old
ren sam sam.old
ren system system.old
ren security security.old
ren software software.old

cd regback

4. At the prompt C:\windows\system32\config\regback> enter the following:

copy default c:\windows\system32\config
copy sam c:\windows\system32\config
copy system c:\windows\system32\config
copy security c:\windows\system32\config
copy software c:\windows\system32\config

5. Close the command prompt window and reboot the computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online