1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

STOP error in W2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by judester, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. judester

judester Thread Starter

Yesterday, when I clicked on a link in an email, I got the blue screen and a message similar to this:

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x02756114,0x00000002, 0x0000000,0xBFF43C5C) Driver IRQL not less or equal
    Address BFF435C base at BFF39000

(I was unable to copy it exactly because the machine spontaneously restarted while I was writing)

When the machine restarted it said there may be an error on drive C, so it checked that drive and restarted all right. But then when I tried to close my mail program after downloading mail, it happened again.

It has happened several times since and the common thread *seems* to be that it happens in relation to my mail program (pegasus) and my Mozilla web browser, which I have set as default. I have used pegasus for years, never had a problem, but have used Mozilla only for a few weeks.

Could I have inadvertently removed spyware that was holding things together? I ran spybot the day before and was killing a program that had many parts. It was unable to kill the last piece of it because it was running at the time, but offered to run again when I restarted the computer. It did start automatically when my machine restarted the first time, and I proceeded to eliminate the last vestiges of that program. The name is escaping me right now but I would remember it if I saw it.

The spybot running is the only thing I can remember doing that might possibly have affected the operating system. Anybody?? THis is scary.

2. judester

judester Thread Starter

I forgot:

Celeron 533, 384 Megs RAM
    10 Gig main HD, 120-gig secondary
    Windows 2000 (should be up to date)

3. mobo

mobo

Would be nice to know what you deleted .You could also try reloading the email program.

4. judester

judester Thread Starter

I remembered. It's backweb lite. Spybot offers this description:

Description
    Comes with Western Digital Data Lifeline as well as with HP & Compaq systems. If you intended to install the normal BackWeb, please add BackWeb to your exclude list. But if you know nothing about installing BackWeb, chances are good that it is the 'lite' version. This one connects to a Cameocast server (Source: http://www.cexx.org/dlgli.htm), and you can read Cameo's privavy statement above.

---
    So it seemed safe to delete it.

I was thinking of re-installing the mail program as one possible fix. I'll try that later today. Maybe Mozilla too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice