1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stop Error Screen Windows Won't Start Even In Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Orangeamc13, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orangeamc13

Orangeamc13 Thread Starter

The problem is on my buddies pc. It uses Windows XP Professional. I have it setup next to this pc I'm currently using. First I get this screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent harware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight your choice.

Any choice I highlight brings this screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is indentified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with the hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x80000003, 0xF8470005, 0xF894C4B4, 0xF894C1B0)

*** SCSIPORT.SYS - Address F8470005 base at F8460000, DateStamp 41107b4b

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. Claymore

Claymore

Most likely a hardware driver problem.
    You could try a repair re-install. Instructions here:

Windows Repair Install
    You should know that after a repair you will have to re-install all updates, including and uninstalled service packs.

Or, first check to make sure the named driver isn't corrupted. If you can't get into Windows, you'll need a Windows XP CD, hopefully with SP2, and follow these instructions:

To Extract a file using the Recovery Console

Insert your Windows XP CD and restart the computer.
    At the prompt 'Press any key to boot from CD', press Enter.
    Windows Setup will load. This takes a few minutes.

After Setup loads, press R on your keyboard to enter the Recovery Console.
    At the prompt to select 'Which Windows installation would you like to log onto', on your keyboard press the number of the installation. This will usually be 1 unless you are dual-booting.
    You will get to a prompt C:\WINDOWS

You now have to locate your CD drive. The CD drive letter will depend on if/how your hard drive is partitioned and the number of CD drives. To do this:

Type D: and press Enter
    If there is a valid D: drive type in dir

You are looking for a listing of files that will look something like this:
    AUTORUN.INF
    DOCS
    DOTNETFIX
    I386
    etc.

If D: doesn't give this result try typing in E: followed by dir
    If E: doesn't give this result try typing in F: followed by dir
    etc.

When you have located the CD drive type in the following:

expand i386\SCSIPORT.SY_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers /y

(Note the spaces: after expand; before C:; before /y
    and that's a letter i in front of 386
    and that's an underscore after SY)

Press the Enter key.
    You should get a confirmation that the file was expanded.

Restart the computer by pressing the power button, remove the CD, and boot up normally.

3. Orangeamc13

Orangeamc13 Thread Starter

Ok, so my next problem is no Windows XP Professional CD. It's my buddies computer and he has no idea what happened to it. I have my Windows XP CD, but it's not Professional.

Thank You!

4. Claymore

Claymore

I've just checked Windows Pro SP2 and Windows Home SP2 and the driver versions for scsiport.sys are the identical, so try using your CD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/652000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice