1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stop grabbing my emails!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by carfund, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carfund

carfund Thread Starter

Hi I have a xp pc with 2 user accounts, one for me and one for my wife. it is the main home pc for our family.
    My wife recently bought a new vista lap top which has a wireless connection to the internet via a router. It is also networked to share files and printers on our home network.
    she does not use the home pc anymore but still has the user account. We have removed all her email accounts from outlook express. However when the home pc is turned on she does not receive any emails on her laptop even though the home computer is not logged onto her user account. when we add all her account details back into outlook express on the home pc she recives days worth of emails.
    If the home pc is turned off she receives emails on her vista lap top.
    What we want is for her emails to just be downloaded on her lap top.
    why is the home pc grabbing the mail when she does not have any email accounts on it?:confused:

2. Dyonas

Dyonas

Is she still listed as an identity on the home PC? If she is and she doesn't use the computer, delete the identity and see if that helps any. I don't know this for certain and in fact it's just a guess but maybe having the identity there, even though you deleted the account information, still somehow links it to the e-mail accounts. In any case it can't hurt to try as it'd only take a few seconds to delete the user.

If that doesn't work the next thing I'd suggest is to remove her user from the home PC. You say she doesn't use it any more and has a laptop so at the very least you reclaim some HD space.

Could there be a secondary e-mail program on the home PC or even an instant messenger linked to the account (hotmail for example)? I'm just guessing as you don't say if it's an ISP account or web based service like Hotmail.

3. carfund

carfund Thread Starter

we don't use instant messenger or hot mail. I just tried disconnecting the computer from the internet and opened outlook express in her user account and it downloaded 4 messages.
    not even connected to the internet, unplugged. ?

4. SoltoN

SoltoN

Try going into outlook express (assuming this in what you are using for mail there) on the XP PC, go to tools, accounts, find her mail account and click properties on the right. Go to the advanced tab, and check the box that says leave a copy of messages on server. This will make it so that the XP machine will download the messages, but leave them on the mail server for the Vista machine to grab as well. When the Vista machine grabs them, it will remove them from the server.

5. carfund

carfund Thread Starter

sounds good,
    I will give it a try.

6. carfund

carfund Thread Starter

I have removed all the email accounts to do with my wife from our home pc and removed her user account.
    now when she checks for mail on her laptop she is still not getting mail when the home pc is turned on.
    turn it off and she gets mail.
    when we add her email accounts back on to the home pc all her missing mail downloads turn up.:(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!