1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stop IE from dialing out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohnO28356, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnO28356

JohnO28356 Thread Starter

XP Home. Just had a new hard drive go out. Exchanged it and reinstalled XP, and it's running fine- But: I think CRS has kicked in big time. Whenever I click on IE, it dials my ISP. I've disabled auto update, set OE never to check for messages, set IE to never dial a connection, and disabled Remote Access Auto Connection Manager. Would someone please tell me what I've missed? I've been messing with this thing for hours. Thanks a lot for any ideas/help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. JohnO28356

Thanks, Johnwill, it's a brand new drive. But I will install all my regular programs, which includes SpyBot, once I get it on the net.

4. JohnWill

I suspect, since it's brand new, that IE is configured to check for updates, and it's trying to do that. Tools, Options, Advanced, and uncheck automatic updates.

5. JohnO28356

Well. Johnwill, that was the first thing I disabled. Besides what I've listed in my original post, I've disabled the other programs that call out in XP:

www.xp-antispy.de/depth.htm

I'm stuck- I don't know what else to try. But, really, it's not a big thing, I guess. It's just that sometimes I want to go to IE Tools when I'm not connected. Guess I don't have to do that. I've just never heard of this before. Maybe someday when I have 3-4 hours, I'll call MS Support?.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

you'll hve better luck with email support from ms than phone.

7. JohnWill

You'll probably have a LOT better luck not bothering to get an answer out of Microsoft! :)

8. JohnO28356

Johnwill, I was just going to add to this thread. The problem seems to have disappeared. I just tried it 3 times and it didn't call out. Maybe it took more than a few reboots to configure, I don't know.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!