1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stop it from running ;_;

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dez_666, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Okay ive tried a few ways but i cant for the life of me stop AIM from running on other people's accounts!

i tried removing the registry entry and just adding a startup item to ONLY my startup folder, and i also tried using gpedit.msc to make a rule to disallow aim.exe from running. and there are NO startup entries that can be found using autoruns.exe :mad:

any ideas anyone?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uninstall AIM and lose AOL! Problem solved! :D

OK, is this XP-Home or XP-Pro, or some other version of Windows? If it's XP-Pro, you may be able to do this with group policies.

3. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

yes, i have pro, but i dont have much experience with gpedit.msc or group policies. D:

4. APag

APag

Go to or create this key in the registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun]

create a new DWORD Value and name it '1' (without the quotes)
    change its vale to the name of the program you dont ever want your computer to run. (example: cmd.exe)

Hope this helps. Hope I didn't tell you anything that you already knew.

5. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Will this disallow it on a user basis..? I only want to stop it from running on one account on my PC. I have XP Pro btw :D

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The registry tweak will disable it for all users.

7. APag

APag

you could log on to the user that you don't want it to run on and modify the registry at this NEW path: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explo rer\DisallowRun]
    NOW, create a new DWORD Value and name it '1' (without the quotes)
    change its vale to the name of the program you dont ever want your computer to run. (example: cmd.exe)

8. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

And this will disable it only for that user if i log on as them and add this entry, correct? :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!