1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stop my pc looking for wireless networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by David1938, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

Every time I switch on my HP Pavilion PC (Vista) I get interrupted by a message asking if I want my PC to join my home wireless network. I need that network to operate my laptop (works fine) but my PC is hard wired to the router and has no wireless facility. The PC also works fine but that message is profoundly irritating! HP are no help and Microsoft are hopeless unless you pay. Help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no clue how you could be getting that inquiry. What happens if you answer 'yes'?

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters?

3. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

Hi Terry. It offers me two choices - cancel or yes. If I choose yes it tells me my PC does not have the right bits to join a wireless network and I have to cancel. I knew that of course and my PC is hard wired.
    The network adaptors list just contains a Realtec PCIe GBE family controller. Should I delete that? My wireless router is a Belkin.
    D

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't delete the Realtec PCIe GBE family controller; that is your ethernet adapter.

Maybe there is some program running at boot that should not be. Check on the Processes tab in Task Manager to see if there is anything with WLAN or wireless in the name. If there is it is probably some HP program that shouldn't be there. You can use msconfig to prevent it from running at startup.

Another similar possibility is a Service that you have no need for. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. Again look for anything with wireless or WLAN in the name, and probably HP also. The WLAN AutoConfig is part of Windows and I'm fairly confident it is not the problem even though it is probably Started.

5. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

There is nothing in the Processes with WLAN in it and, apart from WLAN Autoconfig (which is set to maual start), there is nothing in the Services list either.
    I will leave the Realtec controller alone!
    Any other ideas? :eek:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Copy or write down the exact message. If you or I search the web for it maybe something will come up giving a clue to the cause or cure.

I cannot think of anything else.

7. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I restarted my PC to get the message and copy it down - no message. I restarted again - no message. I closed down completely and started again (twice) - no message. I don't know what magic you used, but I altered nothing. Not that I'm surprised at any contrary thing Windows does. At random intervals it loses my 'User's Details', so I have to type in my address when I want an envelope with a return address in Word. But that's another problem. Anyway, if that message does start reappearing, I hope you will not mind if I make contact again? David

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I can't divulge my secrets. :eek: :D:D

Just post here and I should see it. :)

9. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

Hi again. I spke too soon. Don't know if it is significant but thye irritating message appeared after the PC had been 'asleep' for a while. The following appeared as it was 'waking up' .....
    1st box
    Wireless network setup wizard
    Do you want to add this computer to the wireless network “the name of my home network”?

• Save this network for all users of this computer
    • Save this network for me only

* OK * Cancel
    Choosing cancel gets rid of the box
    Choosing OK gives me the 2nd box.

2nd box
    Windows then asks for permission to continue, but then …..

3rd box
    The wizard cannot create a wireless network, either because a wireless network adapter is not fitted or because software for the wireless adaptor is not installed.

I don't suppose that helps at all!!
    David

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I am so sorrowful that I upgraded and am no longer running Vista. NOT!

Set the Startup Type of the WLAN AutoConfig service to Disabled. Maybe that will finally quiet it. And then try to remember to change that if you ever add a wireless adapter. :)

11. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

I will give that a go. I may also think about upgrading to Windows 7. Many thanks for all your help.
    David

12. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

Oh Oh. Spoke too soon. WLAN Autoconfig is disabled, but the nessage is appearing again. I think it is only when the PC wakes up from a sleep and there is sometimes a delay. I will do some testing tomorrow, with starts, restarts and sleeping, to see if I can pin down the circumstances properly.
    You are probably sorry you took up the case!! :(
    David

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Searching for ghosts that can't possibly (logically) exist is always frustrating, but more so for the person suffering. And at least this one is not causing something to not work.

14. David1938

David1938 Thread Starter

Now then, the dreaded message does not appear on a cold start, nor on a restart. It appears when the computer wakes up after a sleep. Note that the computer switches off all peripherals (printers, router etc) when it is asleep or is switched off. No difference there.
    I did not have a password on wake-up as I do on start-up, so I tried putting one on, but that made no difference.
    WLAN Autoconfig is still disabled.
    What is it that is triggered by waking up that isn't by starting up? :confused::confused:
    David

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is it that is triggered by waking up that isn't by starting up?

The ghost that is living in your computer and playing with your mind. :eek:

Obviously when awakened from Hibernation there is something that copies content back into memory, but for awakening from Sleep I have no idea.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice