Solved Stop OneDrive from Syncing Desktop Icons?

nrpeyton

Hi,

I have two computers, one is for work and the other games.

Short Version
Whenever I install a new game on my gaming machine, the desktop icon appears on my work system's desktop as well.

Long Version
The above sentence is the easy way of explaining it, but in reality, it is a lot more annoying than the above sentence. I have about 70 desktop icons all neatly arranged on my gaming machine (for a variety of different games/apps/utilities and media). My other machine is actually a utility PC (Xeon) and is newly built, last week when I logged in for the first time, ALL 70 odd desktop icons appeared on the Xeon. Also, when adding icons to the Xeon, these appear on my gaming machine making a complete (crazy) mess of my "nice and neat rows of desktop icons" on my gaming PC.

I have searched the web for solutions, but couldn't seem to find a precise solution, (I shouldn't have to disable sync or log in with a local account ). I don't want to completely disable sync because I still use OneDrive for file sharing. (No idea why Microsoft thinks it's a good idea to include desktop icons in sync).
----------------------------------------------------------- [End of Long Version]

So, how do I stop OneDrive from syncing my desktop icons without some overkill blanket approach which breaks something else?

Thanks,

Nick

nrpeyton

Not exactly what I was hoping for (as I was hoping there was simply a setting I could change) but I suppose with the way windows 10 is so tightly integrated with OneDrive, a "workaround" like this does look like my best/only choice.

Damn Microsoft - all their attempts to 'force' you into their eco system just result in frustrations.

Couriant

James
It's as simple as going to right click on the OneDrive icon in bottom right > Settings > Backup > Manage Backup > and deselecting the desktop folder. (all folders IMO)

1634312860343.png

If you are using your work's OneDrive acoount on your personal machine, then you shouldn't have OneDrive manage the folders. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online