1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stop programs from running

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by barbaranna, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbaranna

barbaranna Thread Starter

Hi please help me before I make a big mistake. tech guy at my internet service said I could go to misconfig and stop all the programs running in the backround so it would speed up my system. I don't know which one to pick there is a start up and a sevices and etc. I dont know if I understood him correctly, he said that I could uncheck them and it would not delete them. When I wanted that program all I would have to do is click on the icon and it would start. I do not know much about this type of arranging and do not want to screw up anything. Also could you tell me what wild tangent is? evertime I start my computer it shows I am missing something from them . Is it something I need? How do I get rid of this

2. colmaca

colmaca

well it hard to say witch to untick without knowing whats there.
    so if you run msconfig,click the startup tab.wright down just the first bit off all enteries
    like "MsnMsgr"the bit just after the tick,then i will look and advise on some you can remove without any problems

3. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Wild Tangent is pretty much spyware. Likely adaware (or something) removed the files. But there is still a startup reference (maybee in msconfig) for it. So, it trys to start and is missing a file...

Post a list of whats in msconfig. Start->run->msconfig... Click on the startup tab. Post that list. We can help tell you with which ones to safely uncheck.

Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!