stop showing my ip address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mosu

Hi,

I would like to know how can I hide my ip address...
to be honest i've got lot of questions about these, i just
was in one page where the new in which city i was living
my isp provider,etc( u will know better than I)...Can this
cause any harm?

Thanks a lot

I hope that the question hasn't been asked, i'm new and i
feel losttttttttttttttt !!!

Apologizes for any writting mistakes( i'm not
good at english)

Besos

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Do you have broadband or dialup?
If you had a router, it would only show the router IP and not your PC's.
You could use a proxy server that would hide your IP address.
Unless you are DL'ing MP3s or something fishy, I think it's just a pain we have to learn to put up with.

Mosu

I used broadband...what would the get?I mean, these
proxy servers that offer to hide your ip...what r they getting?
r they secure to use?any in particular?

Mosu

I do not have a router...
can i disable the proxy server? so i can download music...

thanks a lot bassetman

Besos

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
The proxy just allows you to surf and only their address shows, not yours. DL'ing music at this point is what I would consider risky. :eek:
I can't think of one off hand, but check google for anonomous surfing, or something to that effect.

Mosu

I thought that the proxy servers will gather some information
or details from my computer
or ... i haven't got a clue, but it seems that out there, there are few sites
(like this one! jejeje) that will offer you a good service for
nothing in return. but i rather have one site with all the information they can gather from me (and i don't know what it will be anyway) that leaving my "finger prints" wherever i go

you can unplug the network card.. that will hide it.. , go through a proxy server or spoof your ip address... but if you spoof it dont expect any return packets to come back

Miz

An IP is your internet "address." That's the address other computers use to send the data you request...like a web page and those annoying popup ads.

You can go through a proxy server to hide your IP but the downside is that going through a proxy tends to slow down your net surfing, sometimes drastically.

While it's true using a router will only expose the router's IP to the world, that IP has been assigned to it in some manner by your ISP. ISPs generally keep logs so they'll know which account had which IP at any given time. Whether it was your router or your computer using that IP is immaterial...it was your account.

Can somebody find out who you are and exactly where you live by knowing your IP? It's possible but not very easy and not very likely. If tracking down inviduals by tracing IPs were easy, every hacker/cracker/virus writer would be caught within days no matter how many computers they routed through.

Of course, if you have critical, top secret data stored on your computer that the rest of the world would go to war to have, somebody will probably track you down. Otherwise, don't worry about it. ;)

I use Ghostsurf which re-routes your connection through annomynous servers, you can even goto various sites that report your I.P by typing (my i.p address) in google. If you would like this program in full,contact me on msn on [email protected] and I will be glad to supply :)

Note: I use this on KAzza and it works quite well !!

You are completley Anomynous

Mosu

thanks to all of you...U have been very helpful

At the moment, my machine is down( trying to install some clean program, that did a hell of a job)

I will contact u PE2000 as soon as i'm up and running

Besos

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online