Stopping Facebook Messaging Invitations

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwwozniak

Chuck
I use the Message feature on the Facebook web site as my primary way to stay in touch with a couple of people. I do it all using the Firefox web browser on desktop or laptop computers. It seems like several times a day the following message will show up in the conversation.

(GRAPHIC)​
(Name) invited you to Messenger.
Sending messages is fast and more fun on Messenger. Get a link sent to your phone to install the app.
Send Link​
The person says that they are not sending the invitation, and I assume Facebook is automatically butting into the conversation with it. I don't own a smartphone to install the App even if I wanted to. I tried sending the link to my dumb-phone and just ignore it, but that didn't work. Is there a user setting in Facebook to stop getting these annoying invites?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think this is based on your list of friends and if one of them installs the APP, then FB wants you to know that you can join them in using this app.

Yes, I too, get this several times a day

cwwozniak

Chuck
Yep, they started about the time my friend purchased an Amazon Tablet and started using the Fb app.

Couriant

James
I think it's one of the most annoying things about Facebook messenger. That and the constant notification to turn on notifications.

I didn't see any options to stop those FB messenger install messages . :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I installed it on my Kindle and did not care for it. Uninstalled it and I have NOT see that message since.

Couriant

James
Just curious - on the web browser under apps do you see messenger?

cwwozniak

Chuck
I could not find anything with Facebook or messenger in the name under Firefox's Extensions, Plug-ins, or Services.

Couriant

James
Sorry I meant in Facebook via web browser. I know the app does and it has old apps I have deleted but somehow still shows there

cwwozniak

Chuck
Thank you for the clarification. I have "Apps, Websites and Plugins" disabled. All boxes are unchecked for information shared with "Apps Others Use". Only Me is set for "Old Versions of Facebook for Mobile". I just added my friend's name to the "Block app invites" list. Hopefully that will block the messenger invites.

EDIT: I just added Facebook Messenger for Android and Facebook Messenger for iPhone to the list of blocked apps. I started to enter messenger and it auto completed for me. Each time, I got a "temporary problem with page" message, but the apps appear to be added to the list.

Last edited:

cwwozniak

Chuck
Well, none of that helped any. Just got a Messenger invitation after we exchanged a few messages this morning.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online