1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stopping network access to System folders

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by asbo, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

Heya,

I'm on a network running WinME. I want to be able stop all network access to the WINDOWS folder. Does anyone have any idea on hwo to go about doing this?

Thanks,
    asbo

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Well WinXP this is more easy through the administrator, Did you try the print and sharing from the C: drive/properties?

3. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

I look under the props in Network Settings, and nothing there. I do want all of the drve accessible, just not the system folders, so that nothing happens accidently.

Thanks,
    asbo

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Goto My computer and double click and then right click the C: drive and to properties and you should see print and sharing, see if you can disable the folders you want from there. Let me know.
    J

5. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

Well, I'm looking at the C:\ drive properties window, and in all 3 tabs, there is no mention whatsoever of 'print and sharing' or anything simular.

Thanks,
    asbo

P.S. Are you sure this feature exists in Windows Millinium Edition?

6. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Yes but you may not have it setup like that so you may not have your network setup for print and sharing on other computers, this I did have so I was able to see this option.

Ok goto control panel and the network icon and open it up.
    You should see it there in the middle and on top a access tab.

7. Hairy

Hairy

perhaps setting the sharing for "C" to "Read Only" will do what you want?

8. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

Well, looking at what you pointed me to, I have to have a "master list" and there is no such thing on my network, because a I don't have a central server (peer-to-peer). And judging by the requirments of that setting, it's not worth it.

Thanks for your help,
    asbo

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice