Stopping network access to System folders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

asbo

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 21, 2001
Messages
507
Heya,

I'm on a network running WinME. I want to be able stop all network access to the WINDOWS folder. Does anyone have any idea on hwo to go about doing this?


Thanks,
asbo
 
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
138
Originally posted by asbo:
Heya,

I'm on a network running WinME. I want to be able stop all network access to the WINDOWS folder. Does anyone have any idea on hwo to go about doing this?


Thanks,
asbo
Well WinXP this is more easy through the administrator, Did you try the print and sharing from the C: drive/properties?
 

asbo

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 21, 2001
Messages
507
I look under the props in Network Settings, and nothing there. I do want all of the drve accessible, just not the system folders, so that nothing happens accidently.

Thanks,
asbo
 
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
138
Originally posted by asbo:
I look under the props in Network Settings, and nothing there. I do want all of the drve accessible, just not the system folders, so that nothing happens accidently.

Thanks,
asbo
Goto My computer and double click and then right click the C: drive and to properties and you should see print and sharing, see if you can disable the folders you want from there. Let me know.
J
 

asbo

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 21, 2001
Messages
507
Well, I'm looking at the C:\ drive properties window, and in all 3 tabs, there is no mention whatsoever of 'print and sharing' or anything simular.

Thanks,
asbo

P.S. Are you sure this feature exists in Windows Millinium Edition?
 
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
138
Originally posted by asbo:
Well, I'm looking at the C:\ drive properties window, and in all 3 tabs, there is no mention whatsoever of 'print and sharing' or anything simular.

Thanks,
asbo

P.S. Are you sure this feature exists in Windows Millinium Edition?
Yes but you may not have it setup like that so you may not have your network setup for print and sharing on other computers, this I did have so I was able to see this option.

Ok goto control panel and the network icon and open it up.
You should see it there in the middle and on top a access tab.
 
Joined
Mar 20, 2000
Messages
574
perhaps setting the sharing for "C" to "Read Only" will do what you want?
 

asbo

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 21, 2001
Messages
507
Well, looking at what you pointed me to, I have to have a "master list" and there is no such thing on my network, because a I don't have a central server (peer-to-peer). And judging by the requirments of that setting, it's not worth it.

Thanks for your help,
asbo
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top