1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stopping programs running on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aceofharts414, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aceofharts414

aceofharts414 Thread Starter

Hi i've got windows XP and want to stop some things running when I boot windows. I've tried running MSCONFIG and un-ticking programs in the startup tab. Next time I boot the same programs still load. When I looked in MSCONFIG again the programs were un-ticked, but if I scroll down they have all appeared again ticked. Can anyone help me cause I've got some pretty pointless things starting that slow my PC down? Thanks

2. Megabite

Megabite

What are the programs starting up??

you may also check in Services and see if they are there.

Click start/run and type "services.msc" without the quotes.

This will open the services window. Find the services, and click on them, and select stop if they are running, then change the startup type to disabled.

Be careful not to stop important services

3. golferbob

golferbob

4. techychick

techychick

What are the programs you are trying to disable? Have you checked the settings/options via those programs to see if you can disable auto run
    You may also want to consider a third party program that will disable start up programs

5. aceofharts414

Soundman, ituneshelper, sisraid, lxczbmgr(printer application), update for a game i don't even have installed anymore. I reckon these are the ones I dont want theres some AVG and Microsoft ones that I imagine are v important so I wouldnt touch them. Not many of these appear in services.

6. stantley

stantley

Try Startup Control Panel, a small freeware utility that does the same thing as Msconfig, but it's easier to work with.

The only programs that you should run at startup are your firewall and anti-virus software, everything else is optional.

More info on individual startup programs here: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

7. Megabite

Megabite

Soundman is for your soundcard I think so that should run

sisraid should run also

If you have a printer then lxczbmgr should run

ituneshelper is your choice

8. techychick

techychick

AutoRuns may also help

Also, you may want to disable qttask.exe if that also appears, however in my experience that too seems to enable itself on it's own, the only way I have found to get quick time to disable is to rename qttask.exe (C://Programs Files/ Quick Time) to something like qttask_.exe and/or qttask.exe.old

9. aceofharts414

Thanks for the help guys!

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

First of all do a little research on what it is that you are going to shut-down, check it out first and also do one at a time and reboot each time to see if the results are what you want, also write down what you have done with the default setting that was changed. Being careful is always the easiest way to go. Also I would do an image of the whole hard drive(s) just incase you get trashed. Better safe than sorry.

Here is an excellent page on what you want to do it will be a great help:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

11. Lexsar

Lexsar

You might also look and see what is in your "startup" folder in the profile that you're logging on as. It is located in C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. If there are any shortcuts to executables located in this folder, they will launch the program. Delete any offending shortcuts. Remember to also look in All Users too: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Hope this helps...

12. karbo

karbo Banned

How do we know if these programs are needed or not at startup? I see Microsoft Office in there and it's checked. Does it have to be? What's the purpose? Many others I don't even know what they are!

13. stantley

stantley

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to deal with startup entries in 2 locations:

Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Startup(tab)

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?type=&filter=&count=100&offset=0

Uncheck them here to prevent them from automatically loading and running.

Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Change the setting here from "Automatic" to "Manual" to prevent them from automatically loading and running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. phatfred

phatfred

I'd reccomend looking into WinPatrol. This let's you manage your startup programs quite easily as well as notifying you when an application adds itself to the startup list and gives you the option to deny it access. It also does lots of other useful stuff too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice