Stops booting up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sp3136

I have Windows XP on a Compaq laptop. When I turn it on, it attempts to boot up. It starts out normally, flashing the Compaq logo, then the Microsoft logo but seems to get hung up there and won't continue. The MS logo stays on the screen. There are no error messages. Is this a virus? If it is, how do I remove a virus if I can't log on?

Thanks very much for your help. Sue

If your computer was working ok before. Try hitting F8 at bootup before the logo, use the arrow keys to select "Last Known Good Configuration" and hit enter. Your computer will then restart. This will start your computer with the last settings that worked.

sp3136

I tried hitting F8 but nothing happens. It still continues to try to boot up as before but just stops at the MS logo. Any other suggestions?

i'm havinmg the same problem..last nigt, i was having a hard time getting to sleep..so, to make hings easier, i decided to hit the power button to turn the computer off<(fan was annoying me)
this morn, i turned on the cpu, and got this black screen message with the start options, but kept rerouting itself there even after attempts at booting..any suggestions?
compaq nc8000

Try "Last Known Good Configuration".

If that doesn't work try booting in safe mode.(If it hangs at Mup.sys give it a while like 30 at least that is the last file to load before it starts)

Ive tried booting in safe mode, dos, but nothing works...just cycles over..
just took it to microcenter, in chicago, they told me that I might have to dump the hard drive which would suck, because, its my ex gf's cpu.. :(
last week, my house got hit with lightning, and fried the motherboard of my cpu, then my ex gf left for europe, giving me permission to use her laptop while she was away..i picked it up yesterday, and then this happens...my luck. :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online