1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Storage - CD-RW???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ranchergirl, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ranchergirl

Ranchergirl Thread Starter

Hello Tech Guys - Since getting my new toys, digital camera and digital video cam, I have downloaded a zillion pictures. Can you advise what I should have to store all these treasures? Is Zip drive the thing of the past? Is a CD-RW what I need? Should I have installed in the tower or buy external??? Thanks for your opinions!!!:D

2. Monk_

Monk_

CDRs will give you about 6 or 7 times the storage space of a zip disk. Internal are easier to deal with.

3. littlemar

littlemar

External CD-RW units are also more expensive.

4. gethedge

gethedge

No offence Monk, but there are some HUGE zip disks on the market now. However, I would also recomend a CD-RW drive. A quick piece of advice, though, using cd-r disks will tend to stay more stable, and have greater compatability.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

External CD-RW's are slow too in addition to being more expensive. I also would recommend CD-R over zip drives mainly for the cost of the medium and the ease of sending disks to relatives and friends. I never use CD-RW's as they aren't cost effective and not as reliable.

If you want to use disks for storage and and later want to bring them back to your hard drive for editing, remember two things. When you burn a disk, any file will become read only so when you copy it back to your hard drive you have to change it's property to Archive.

That's not hard with one or two files but a pain if you copy back 50. The way around it is to zip the whole bunch before you burn them and then un-zip the file after you copy it back. That will leave you with archive files or use a utility to make changes to the properties of hundreds of files at once. I use Attribute Changer, freeware. One quick operation and all the files are archive again.

Just thoughts for you to chew on. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/74132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice