1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Storage Question: Need help!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Bonecrusher123, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

hi all, i really need a hand with this. i've got 2 other external HDD's. i want to back them up, but each one has different files. how can i back them up without losing any files? i want to make one of them the main drive and the other one i want to make the 'back up' drive. are there any tools i can use to do this? how can i 'align' the hard drives so that one has everything and i don't lose any files? i'm not sure how i can figure this out?

thanks for any help!

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Bonecrusher...are you saying want to replace your current hard drive with one of these two you have mentioned?

Sounds like you want to use one of them for an installation of an operating system and the other one isn't large enough to contain all the contents of the two combined. Is this the case?

3. Bonecrusher123

think of it this way:

you have two disks, disk 1 and disk 2.

on disk 1 you have a bunch of files....say files a,b,c,z
    on disk 2 you have a bunch of files....say files a,q,r,z

you want to merge disk 1 and disk 2 onto a single disk, say disk 1.

disk 1 will then have a single copy of a,b,c,q,r,z

Then you can have an empty disk, disk 2.

4. Bonecrusher123

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Copy the files from 2 to 1. Then, either copy the differing files from 1 to 2, or format 2 and make a copy of 1.

6. Bonecrusher123

how can i tell which files are which? won't i lose folders by copying and pasting?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Create 2 folders on drive 1. Name them "Drive1" and "Drive2".

Put all the files on drive 1 into the Drive1 folder. Copy all the files from drive 2 into the Drive2 folder. Then, create a new folder on drive 2 called "Drive2". Copy all the files on drive 2 into that folder.

Copy the Drive1 folder to drive 2 and you're done.

8. waggy21

waggy21

can anyone help me --I just received a new external hard drive (toshiba touro mobile 1tb) but it wont load up onto my PC.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice