1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Storage

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Babs1, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babs1

Babs1 Thread Starter

hi, I used to use Dropbox to store special files,had the crystal ransome virus on laptop,also had USB stick in the laptop which had the dropbox stuff on. Everything was corrupted, so wondering if pcloud would be any good to use, running Windows 10 latest on new laptop which is where I keep the files I work on that I want to store away from computer. Also could I use pcloud with my iMac. Using high Sierra?
    Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I assume you are calling Dropbox your pcloud. Format your USB stick. Do a clean install ofWindows; by booting the Windows DVD method; not running setup while in Windows.

I would disconnect Dropbox when you are not modifying your documents. This would prevent ransomware from killing files in Dropbox.

Ransomware can usually arrive 2 ways: through a network vulernabilty in the networking components of Windows. Or through email attachments.

To counter the first method of attack, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On and Off and uncheck SMB. (specifically version 1. In Windows 10, this is listed sparately) This component handles File and Printer Sharing ( mapped network drives ) If you don't use mapped drives and folders, then you can safely disable this.

For the second method of attack, don't click on email attachments. If the email appears to be from a friend, phone the friend and ask if she sent the attachment, only then do you open the attachment. The reason is that malware can compromise an email program and make off with the contact list, and so the attacker can send emails appearing to be from your friend.

3. Babs1

Babs1 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply the software/app I was talking about pCloud is the name of what I was looking into, drop box was the one corrupted and I don't want to use it. pCloud is similar to icloud I think.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice