Storing Music Best Suggestions?

bradley27

I am wondering if there are any preferred methods of storing music for safe keeping should I ever lose, break or have an instance where i need to revert to a safe backup.

I have 65gb of MP3 music that i really want to be able to upload somewhere safe and be able to update any changes as the months go on.

Suggestions welcome if thats ok.

plodr

Liz
I don't have 65GB of music. I make sure I have stored all my mp3 files on two different mediums. Since we currently have four mp3 players, songs are stored on the internal hard drives of the players as well as micto sd cards (3 of the 4 players have a micro sd slot to add more music). I have 2 different micro sd cards storing the same songs. I also have songs stored on a USB stick. (I don't recommend USB sticks for long term storage.)
For 65 gigs, I'd suggest you buy a portable external hard drive 500 GB or larger and save copies on there.

Most free sites limit storage so you'd have to pay to store 65 GB. google drive has the most free storage at 15GB. OneDrive is 5GB.
Also consider how long it would take to upload 65GB worth of files.
Truthfully, you'd be better off storing your files locally on two different mediums.

bradley27

I actually have it all copied onto am external SSD but im overthinking that theory of backing up backup as my music library is literally gospel!

bradley27

Thanks, okay so the best thing to do is keep a backup on Harddrive and put it somewhere safe.

Obviously my thought was my library of music grows at times, i may replace certain MP3s for better quality ones when new remasters come along so at times its hard to keep up with all the changes so i tend to delete everything from the backup SSD and then copy all of the music over to it again but doing that say...6 or 8 times a year must do abit of damage to the disc no?

Tanis

Shane
I store all my MP3s (120Gb) on a NAS, which I have backed up to an external WD MyCloud drive.

May be a bit of overkill for your scenario but it also means I dont have to take any of the MP3s on any of my devices as the NAS runs Plex Media Server (free) and I can stream from my NAS anywhere as long as I have WiFi / Mobile data (y)

I also store all my pics and home videos etc on there and then share it to all my family using Plex.

Oddba11

Jim
I actually keep two copies. I have the primary folder on my computer. I have a copy of that folder on my media server. And I keep a copy on an external drive that is only connected when being used to create backups.

65GB isn't that much. Just don't keep all of your copies in the same place.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Or, you could just copy it to wherever you want it to be stored ... Then make another copy on another storage device. I use external 4TB - 10TB WD HDDs. One is connected to my WD MyCloud which acts as one of my media servers.

I am wondering if there are any preferred methods of storing music for safe keeping should I ever lose, break or have an instance where i need to revert to a safe backup.

I have 65gb of MP3 music that i really want to be able to upload somewhere safe and be able to update any changes as the months go on.

Suggestions welcome if thats ok.
The problem is, all storage media is prone to failure. Use multiple multiple media. Use hard drives, cd's, and cloud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online