1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stranded in Print Spooler Hell

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by travelwith, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. travelwith

travelwith Thread Starter

my OS is W-XP
    my printer is HP LASERJET 1020, PURCHASED 2007
    for the past many years no problem with printer. Monday morning worked fine. beginning Monday afternoon has not worked!
    ERROR spooler subsystem app has encountered problem...
    ERROR printer spooler not running
    i have watched the TSG video which describes my problems. i have done everything that the video suggests. but, nice video!
    i have loaded from the CD the original driver whatever. when i finished with that i had a printer test page stating correctly installed your HP LaserJet 1020 on DJ69L61. my first printed page since monday morning, and nothing since. after the the test page i tried to print and the same errors as before
    I did go to computer properties advance preference and was not able to add anything
    i did go to run services.msc, found print spooler, right click, start and it did change to start so then went to restart and in the column it still showed start. so then i tried something and got the error spooler subsystem encounter a problem....surprise!
    so went back and clicked again start. same story.
    in the dependencies place the only think i see if FAX
    i have no inclination to touch the registry.
    i have read many and tried many suggestions from forums etc
    on the PRINT screen i cannot select a printer or add a printer, it cannot even FIND PRINTER, even though i have reload from CD the printer driver and it acknowledged. i receive that obnoxious message--the print spooler service is not running --so what's new?!
    is there anything to do except buy a new printer. if i install a new printer am i going to have the same spooler problem?

your turn....Lee

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you tried uninstalling the printer driver and reinstall it again.

3. travelwith

did that yesterday. finally found the cd that came with the printer. inserted it and it did its thing. that is when i then had a msg "you have correctly installed your HP LaserJet 1020. ?that is uninstalling and reinstalling??
    thank you...
    keep the suggestions coming!

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    have you tried restoring your computer to an earlier time (2 days back).

5. OrderUpCafe

OrderUpCafe

If I am allowed to reply here: I was just going through spooler hell: called a computer friend tech, who told me to type into the 'run' box: 'net stop spooler'. It corrected within one minute or so. Then, I rebooted (may not have needed to) and needed to restart spooler, so 'net start spooler'.

6. OrderUpCafe

OrderUpCafe

I didn't fully read/understand your difficulty: sorry! You probably need more than I just offered, so I will butt out!

7. travelwith

the suggestions were good and i tried them all. However, no success. I have decided how to solve the printer problem of my HP LaserJet 1020: it goes to Salvation Army and i install my BestBuy purchase of Epson. thank you all.
    case closed!

8. valis

valis Moderator

Odd.....that was my solution a decade ago as well. :) Been happy ever since.

9. OrderUpCafe

OrderUpCafe

:) Great response! Sometimes that is all it takes! HaHa: Salvation Army: CHARGE!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice