1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Alien-type display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by novelwriter56, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelwriter56

novelwriter56 Thread Starter

Okay. Try this one on for size. My wife's PC's video display stopped working one day (this was covered on another thread). I have a Nvidia 8500 GT vid card in my PC, so I popped her 8600 GT into my PC to test if the card was working. It was, but it apparently loaded the drivers for the new card with my already existing drivers. I had a lot of freezes at boot after that. I decided to go through the long process of uninstalling the nvidia drivers and installing the correct ones. This solved my freeze problem, but a couple of days later after my PC had booted, this problem happened. Let me to try to describe it as best as I can. Out of the corner of eye, I saw the screen going wild. I looked at it and it looked like it was going in circles. Or like someone was taking their finger and drawing circles on the screen. When it was done circling, the display looked like a very very bright and colorful "safe mode" screen desktop except you could only make out what you actually knew from the screen and the PC was locked. This is the strangest part. In the middle of the colorful screen, there was an image that looked like a picture of the top of the processor. It was green and had the same brass line patterns that would appear if you were looking at a processor. I shut it down and checked to see if the vid card was locked in properly. It seemed to be, so I rebooted. Everything seemed fine for bit, then the screen went blank (black). I gave up and put the monitor into the onboard port. This worked fine as I am typing this right now.

I don't really need the upgraded card except that I play an online game called "Runescape". I can play the game still if I set it to its lowest settings, but that bites a bit.

Any ideas?

2. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95

I have had similar things happen on some older PC builds, One i had to replace the motherboard and the other I cannot recall what I had to do. what types of computers are they and what are the specs?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1033797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice