1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange audio produced when Dynex USB Headset is combined with Realtek ALC888

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tgp1994, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tgp1994

tgp1994 Thread Starter

It seems that just when I connected my Xbox 360 pc controller, my Dynex USB Headset began acting up.

Whenever I use the microphone function, the audio comes out as though I was talking through a Nintendo Entertainment System (8 bit-ish sound), no matter what I play the sound through. (So it sounds the same, whether I play it through my Creative desktop speakers or through my headset.)

I've tried almost every kind of troubleshooting technique I could think of.
    Removing the drivers then installing older ones worked for awhile, then began acting up again.
    I tried rebooting (of course), that didn't fix it.

Updating sound drivers; nada.

I recall disabling the sound chip through my BIOS, booting, rebooting, enabling it, then booting, although that only fixed it temporarily. I've tried the headset in another computer with the same OS, and it worked fine, so I don't think it's the microphone.

I've tried shutting down as many electronics as I could (cellphone, air purifier, xbox controller, unnecessary monitors, wireless mice, even lights), although nothing could fix the odd sounds.

Computer specs:

• MSI P6NGM-FD motherboard
    • Windows XP SP3
    • Realtek drivers, updated to R256
    • Dynex USB Mon Headset

Also, here's a small soundclip of me saying hello, then blowing on the microphone.

Link

If anyone can help, that would be great.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Having checked the Realtek site I notice that R2.56 is the first identifier of a set of drivers many of which are for Vista and Win7. Did you go to this site or select one offered from a general driver site. Pls chk you have the xp one

README
    R2.562011/1/7304kGOGOGO
    Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (Executable file)
    R2.562011/1/483411kGOGOGO
    Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)
    R2.562011/1/431415kGOGOGO
    Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file)
    R2.562011/1/431238kGOGOGO
    Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (ZIP file)
    R2.562011/1/483978kGOGOGO
    Vista, Windows7 Driver(32bits) Driver only (Executable file)
    R2.562011/1/442569kGOGOGO
    Vista, Windows7 Driver(64bits) Driver only (Executable file)
    R2.562011/1/445734kGOGOGO

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Further to the above, is this onboard sound, as you talk about disabling the sound in BIOS.
    In device manager, including "show hidden devices" are there any warnings.

What is shown on Sounds and audio devices in control panel for voice and playback devices.

4. tgp1994

tgp1994 Thread Starter

Yup, I've done all of that.

It's beginning to look like the xbox controller acts as a virus in ways; people begin experiencing audio distortion when they combine an xbox controller with their usb headsets on one computer. I've tried every single usb port on my pc, but none seem to fix this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice