1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jac12, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

I have a HP 6470Z and when I tried to upgrade the memory weird things happened. First off HP hides their memory under everthing they can find to make it so hard for us! Oh by the way it's running win 98
    I'm not even sure if this machine take EDO memory or reg SD RIMM. Any way after putting the memory back in and starting the computer again all I get are beeps : 1 123 123 1 thats the sequnce. The screen on the monitor shows nothing and it won't even shut off uness it's unplugged.
    Jac

2. Rockn

Rockn

Check your memory again to make sure it is seated correctly and not inserted backwards. They have to click ingo the sockets and the latches should be clipped. It should be SDRAM like this:
    http://www.memoryx.net/d6802a.html

3. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

I did just that and put in 250 megs that I was not being used. Now I'm just going to take out the teeny tiny HDD and put in another one. If I can figure out how :rolleyes: Hp just makes things difficult for me. It's a nice one though. It has a card reader and Zip drive. Although I don't have to CD from HP so I'll just have to do a clean install of 98 SE and see if I can get the drivers for the other stuff.

On the other hand I was able to give Hubby's old HP pent.111 to someone who didn't have any at all. It actually felt very good to be able to do something nice for someone.
    Thanks Jac

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

250? In what configuration?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I know I'll use it.
    Jac :p

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What about my ram question? I saw one unit that shipped with 96, so your system may max out at less than what you are trying to install, thus the reasons for the beeps. It can't use that big of a ram chip in one slot.

8. brite750

brite750

Looks like from the beep codes you can't have a ram chip larger than 64megs if I'm reading that right.

9. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

Beeps are gone but it's only showing 64 megs of ram so I guess you're right.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice