Strange beeps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jac12

I have a HP 6470Z and when I tried to upgrade the memory weird things happened. First off HP hides their memory under everthing they can find to make it so hard for us! Oh by the way it's running win 98
I'm not even sure if this machine take EDO memory or reg SD RIMM. Any way after putting the memory back in and starting the computer again all I get are beeps : 1 123 123 1 thats the sequnce. The screen on the monitor shows nothing and it won't even shut off uness it's unplugged.
Jac

Jac12

I did just that and put in 250 megs that I was not being used. Now I'm just going to take out the teeny tiny HDD and put in another one. If I can figure out how :rolleyes: Hp just makes things difficult for me. It's a nice one though. It has a card reader and Zip drive. Although I don't have to CD from HP so I'll just have to do a clean install of 98 SE and see if I can get the drivers for the other stuff.

On the other hand I was able to give Hubby's old HP pent.111 to someone who didn't have any at all. It actually felt very good to be able to do something nice for someone.
Thanks Jac

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What about my ram question? I saw one unit that shipped with 96, so your system may max out at less than what you are trying to install, thus the reasons for the beeps. It can't use that big of a ram chip in one slot.

Looks like from the beep codes you can't have a ram chip larger than 64megs if I'm reading that right.

Jac12

Beeps are gone but it's only showing 64 megs of ram so I guess you're right.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online