Strange behavior

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pilen

Hey guys,

I posted another thread about my friends computer and I ran into trouble with my own.

My computer is acting really strange. For a couple of weeks my computer kept freezing. In-game, during normal operations in windows and even in BIOS and other test software using a USB-stick (outside of Windows)

Now for at least 2 weeks straight the computer funtioned like a dream with no freezes and everything working real smooth. Just now like 10 minutes ago it froze in-game and didn't respond. After a hard shutdown, I waited 5 min and gave it another shot. The computer booted up and started running post but froze again. Another hard shutdown and 5min later still the same result.

When my computer functioned normally I ran, Memtest with no errors at all. I ran HDD test with 2 different types of software and I tried 2 different graphics card. My temps on the computer is really good so I doubt it could be that.

This computer hasn't been a good friend. It has cost me alot of failures over these 3 years from changing MOBOs, 2 Graphics cards and 2 memory sticks.

My first thought was that it could be the MOBO but I'm starting to think that it could be the PSU. Because if it delivered too much or too low power it could damage the hardware right?

Could you please give me your input on this :confused:

Best regards!

How can anyone give you input on the power supply when you haven't supplied the EXACT make and model?

Pilen

Oh sorry, my bad.

MOBO: Asus P5N72-T Premium, nForce-780i SLI, Socket-775, DDR2
GFX: EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB PhysX CUDA
Memory: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 4096MB x2 8gig ram
PSU: Silverstone Olympia 1000W
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.67GHz

While Silverstone is an excellent power supply they can still have problems.

What I would do is take a digital multimeter with needle probes and test the voltage at the +12v, +5v and +3.3v leads and the main connector with the machine under load. If the voltages are within + or - 5% of their rated values then the power supply has to be considered good.

If the power supply is proven good then you have to start looking in other areas, i.e. add-in cards, drives, motherboard, etc.

Pilen

Update:

Okej I haven't been able to test my PSU with a multimeter because I haven't been able to get a hold on one. But I tried the computer just now and it booted up like usual and it froze again and I noticed something. When I do a hard shutdown I hold down the button for like 3 seconds. It then automaticly powers on when I raise the button again. It did that alot and it seemed like the computer was living on its own. Does that tell you something?

I also got the computer to boot up again and run through POST. Checked BIOS for temps since that could be a problem and my CPU was at 29C and my M/B was 28C so I doubt it's heat problems.

Best regards!

Pilen

Okej I tried to take of the thermal paste from the CPU and clean it off. I put on new paste and reattached the CPU cooler. Now the computer won't start and keyboard etc is not detectable (numpad button won't turn green etc). I thought I might have put on too much paste so I took it off and started over again this time with less paste.

Still same result, what do you think?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online