1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange behaviour from AVG

Discussion in 'General Security' started by telecom69, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Im having an annoying problem with AVG for some reason it randomly starts scanning,even though auto scan is disabled ...when it does this my computer freezes ...its showing two icons in the notification tray,the second one saying AVG running scans,I can right click on it and stop all scans but cannot exit out of it ...the icon remains there ....AVG itself appears to be ok ...I really would like to be able to get rid of that second icon ...the O/S by the way is Windows XP home .....

2. jsparky77

jsparky77

As far as i can see, there may be several problems/solutions:
    1. Go to task scheduler, should be located in accesories. See if AVG is scheduled to do anything in that.
    2. It may be one of the many bugs of the new AVG. If it is this, the only thing you can do is go to option 4 until grisoft fix it.
    3. Go to MSConfig via Run, msconfig. Untick AVG if it is in the Startup Tab and/or the Services tab.
    4. Uninstall AVG and use a different AV, such as avast or avira.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply (y):) in the end I guessed it might be a bug,as AVG itself works perfectly ok ....what was irritating me most was the second icon that said AVG was scanning,it was there permanently but I was able to get rid of it by configuring the notification tray not to show it :D its still there but I just dont see it any more :confused:.....

4. allcaps

allcaps

There is one other possibility... that there is a virus mocking the action of AVG to throw you off.

I cannot tell if that is the case, so I'll have to look into it...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/728307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice