1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

strange boot up process

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by plvness, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

OK a while ago my hard drive was crapping out so cloned it to a new one then at first it

says operating system not found that being XP would hit ctrl+alt+del and it would start

over and work properly and then a month or so later on after hitting ctrl+alt+del windows

would start loading and loading until I held the power button to turn it off repeat the

process and then it would work and I no longer have my disk for XP anybody ever had a

similiar problem like this before and if your wondering the system model is a desktop HP

pavillion XV976

it originally came with Windows ME then did a clean install of XP

hope someone can help me with this

2. m0oisnotcool

m0oisnotcool

not exactly sure what you mean... Can you load a Windows Operating system on the PC?
    If you can, go to start -> right click my computer -> properties.
    Go to the advanced tab. There should be three buttons that say "settings" click the bottom one -> it is under the heading "startup and recovery".
    In the new dialog, press EDIT, and copy/paste what you see in here please.
    You might need to add/remove something, or you might need to change to a selective boot (if I am following you).

3. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

OK went and did that wasnt much info here it is hope it can be fixed

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

4. m0oisnotcool

m0oisnotcool

hm, okay.... that seems fine. Not exactly sure what the problem is then - it could be anything from boot priority in bios to a registry error. Try changing to a selective startup... Make a system restore point first incase of corruption from this point.
    Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" (without quotations).
    On the general tab, select Selective Startup and untick all the boxes and apply the changes. Reboot and see how it goes. If that works, try reticking all the boxes (note: a lot of programs will not startup the first time, but it should force the machine/you to select the OS manually).
    Note: another method you might want to try is pressing f8 during start-up and then selecting the OS by hand.
    If none of this works, try checking to see if your boot priority in your BIOS is correct, as you might be trying to boot of a drive that does not have a windows installation.
    Other than that, I am not sure what your problem could be having never encountered it before.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice