1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Strange Browser Activity Involving Yahoo

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Parrot0123, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Parrot0123

Parrot0123 Thread Starter

Hello,

I've got a computer here that has been acting very strangely when trying to access Yahoo mail. The browser gives a warning about the certificate being self-signed, and so does Kaspersky. There's a message about not being able to get an encrypted connection to login.yahoo.com and also a warning about a certificate substitution from akamai.net being invalid or something.

When I have it go to the website anyway, this is what comes up in Firefox:

[​IMG]

I also get a similar message from IE, but the page seems to display alright.

I've run a full virus scan with Kaspersky and the Panda online scanner, but nothing serious showed up.

This seems to have happened around the time we upgraded the computer to the latest version of Firefox - I'm not sure if the problem is related to that.

I've copied down the exact error messages from Firefox and Kaspersky:

Does anybody have any ideas?

2. Parrot0123

Does nobody even have any idea of things that I can check for? Diagnostics I can run? Settings I can look at???

3. cpscdave

cpscdave

I"m not sure what is going on. When I goto login.yahoo.com I do not get a message.

Forgive me for the lack of details but I remember reading something about a rare vulnerabilty affecting FF that actually changed what DNS server it was using. This could be a spoof page.

Bassically untill you are sure whats going on I wouldnt enter my information into the form.

Do you get the same problem on a different computer??

4. Parrot0123

No, I don't get the same error on different computers.

I've narrowed down the problem - I don't get these error messages or the weird looking page if I turn off Kaspersky.

So now my question is: Is Kaspersky alerting me to some real danger, or is it just incompatible with Firefox 3 somehow and giving me a false positive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice